Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titebond CA glues....am I missing something?

A tip on using activator. I see this all the time on YouTube - people spraying the activator on the wood with the bottle of CA still sitting there.

Anything that you spray mists all over and floats all through the shop. I found this out the hard way when I made some home made WD40 by mixing light machine oil with mineral spirits. I put it in a spray bottle and used it one time squeezing gently to just get it on what I wanted to oil.

Wood all the way across the shop was covered with that oil. You could see where the droplets landed and then spread as it soaked into the wood.

Anyway, that activator will set off the whole bottle of glue. If you use a lot of it and go through bottles pretty quickly you're probably fine. But it will significantly shorten the shelf life of CA. I put my bottles inside a larger plastic bottle with a lid before I use activator. And I try to avoid activator anyway. It makes the glue more brittle. The faster a glue dries or cures the more brittle it is.

Quote Originally Posted by George Adams View Post
    20 years is a long time..Frankly a piece of furniture that lasts 20 years these days has lived a charmed life..CA glue definitely belongs in any shop for a multitude of reasons.. #1 rule when in use....Wear throw away plastic gloves....I do know one guy who glued two fingers together some 20 years ago.......lol.
    I learned how to roll my fingers apart when I glue mine together. I avoid CA like the plague but sometimes it really is the best choice - particularly when I have something that I can't figure out how to clamp or can figure it out but don't have the kind of clamps that would work.

Acetone, MEK and Nitromethane all dissolve CA glues. Doesn't take long if you get to it quickly.

FYI, Folks, but George Adams resurrected an 8 year old therad.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    FYI, Folks, but George Adams resurrected an 8 year old therad.
    Other than new machinery and the rare new question, It's all a repeat of a repeat. Old topic or new it always recycles or gets asked again...