Thread: Going Camping !!!

Red face Going Camping !!!

Well, last week I took the kids camping for the first time and they had a great time. To keep things organized I thought I would make a camp kitchen. The box in the picture is the result. The sides are 1/4" birch ply, top and bottom are 1/2" birch ply, and the framing is 3/4" birch. Three birch runners are on the bottom. The inside has compartments for a Coleman stove, Coleman lantern, Coleman fuel, and kitchen gear. On top I trimmed it out with some scrap walnut to keep cutting boards, or stove from falling off. The finish was something new; Defthane. Defthane is an oil based poly that's good for indoor and outdoor use; it worked well. It was a nice chance to get some practice using a pocket hole jig as well as try out a lipping planer that I recently scored from someone who was selling one on the Felder forum (Lamello Cantex).
    Attached Images Attached Images

That box looks too nice to take camping!
    Great job!
    Looks critter proof too!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    That box looks too nice to take camping!
    That's what my wife said !!! The finish is quite glossy but that's a good thing as you get a much nicer build of solids with a gloss finish than with satin. I guess it has around 6 coats of finish on th outside and 3 coats of Deft lacquer on the inside.

Cool idea, and it looks great too!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Finish

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    That's what my wife said !!! The finish is quite glossy but that's a good thing as you get a much nicer build of solids with a gloss finish than with satin. I guess it has around 6 coats of finish on th outside and 3 coats of Deft lacquer on the inside.
    Steve,
    Ditto on the gloss finish. However, if you want a satin finish, apply the gloss first and then lay on a coat or two of satin. It works for me.

By the way, nice work on the camping box. I've camped quite a few times over the years and know that storage efficiency is a REAL advantage!

I hope that you folks have a lot of fun!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Nice job with the box! I used a similar one when I was in Boy Scouts.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.