Thread: rob cosman video

rob cosman video

i was looking at the dovetail series and the hand planig videos.wondering if anyone has any thouths on these.I have limited experience with hand cutting dovetails and planing,but i do have the jist although there is definite room for improvement,but iam not looking for another video or book i watch once or twice and pick up one or maybe two nifety tricks.looking for some advice,before i spend money that would be better spent on a quality tool.

Cosman has a dvd and shop book/guide set on dovetails. It's a pretty informative package. That setup will have you cutting dovetails pretty quickly, it did for me anyway.

That said, I have the Cosman dovetail dvds, a number of dvd's on hand planes and dovetails, and sharpening from Charlesworth and Schwarz, all are great sources of info. I've found that I don't neccessarily follow one or the other to the letter, but use the combined information from all sources. I don't think you will go wrong picking up any of their dvd's.

Another vote for the Cosman series. I purchased the trilogy with the book, and just recently sold the DVDs after having absorbed all I could absorb. Kept the shopbook. I can highly recommend them.

Here's another recommendation for Cosman's DVDs. I especially like the camera work . . . does a great job of showing the details. Rob goes at a slow pace showing everything in appropriate detail. As the previous poster said, his accompanying workbook on dovetails is really well done.

thanks for the info guys i think i will start with the cosman series.sorry for posting the same question twice i guess i got confused.

My $0.02...

The dovetail video & workbook is quite good.

I wasn't very impressed with the planing/sharpening DVD. I thought it glossed over a lot of things, and while it had some good content, it wasn't as detailed as I like.

Charlesworth's planing/sharpening DVD's are much better, in my humble opinion, than Cosman's Much more detailed, with a lot of discussion of the hows and why-fors.

They are all well-made, and you'll learn from all of them. But I'd suggest Cosman for dovetails and Charlesworth for sharpening and planing.

Or better yet, buy them all....

-TH

Strongly agree with every thought of Tom's....

Cosman for dovetails, Charlesworth for sharpening and planecraft.
    - jbd in Denver

thanks guys that is exactly what i was looking for just a little reassurance before i buy,i am sure i will be happy with them just wanted to make sure they didn't get bashed on here before i purchase.Also that is what my gut was telling me anyway cosman on dovetails but not planeing and swarz on planeing.now i will look at charlseworth instead of swarz or both.thanks guys

In agreement

I also agree with Tom and John's suggestion. Charlesworth's teaching style is deliberate and thorough. After viewing his sharpening DVD in its entirety, one can quickly skip to the specific sections as needed.