Thread: I need a source for 8d cut steel nails

I need a source for 8d cut steel nails

I need 20, 8D cut steel nails to complete a 18th century 6 board style toy chest. Tremont nail is the source I was going to use, however their shipping and handling on a 1 pound box of nails is $12.34. The box of nails is only $8.75. I'm hoping someone out their knows of a more affordable source.

Thanks
    Loren

This:

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s....?partner=froog

is one of the many listings a simple web search yields. I have bought from this particular vendor in the past and have always gotten my order filled with no issues. But there are many sources if you were of a mind to search them out....
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for the link David, I like to rely on the personal experience of the members here at SMC over just about anything else I read or search out on the web

Loren

Question Source...

I'm not sure if you're looking for a specific/specialized cut nail, but Ace sells cut nails loose by weight. I bought about 10 a while back--even mixed up the sizes. (I use them for small turning tools.)

I have several 1 pound boxes of Rose head Tremont nails left over from a project 36 years ago. I am sure we can strikke a deal. What do you have to trade?

CPeter

Thanks for the ace hardware tip, I've got some osage orange oversized pen/turned knob blanks laying around for trade, not sure what else without looking

Thanks Loren

Hi Loren,
    I have several cans of cut nails removed from 120 y.o. barn timbers I moved from East Central Il. to Seattle to build my shop. They are authentic, including rust. I think I can spare 20!! Where in Il?? JCB.

I must have 200 pounds of cut nails in my burn pile from the house and barn projects last year. We burned all of the wood siding from both structures and I can't imagine how many cut nails that are in the pile and I expect there are a few different sizes, particularly from the barn which required more framing to be replaced.