Thread: Shop Layout Software

Shop Layout Software

I know of grizzlys shop planer and of sketchup.

Do you guys use anything else? Free or open source or low cost preferred.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I just use Adobe Illustrator since I have it and I'm very familiar with it. The attributes you're looking for are layers, vectors and ability to scale to actual size. It is much easier to do take-offs if the scale is actual size.

There was a good article by John Yurko in Fine Woodworking's "2005 Tools & Shops" which came complete with scaled illustrations, and instructions for doing the layout in Sketchup. I have gotten much better at Sketchup, but it is slower than a 2-d vector based program. For me, the "layered" 2d illustration programs ... which can be set to actual scale ... are all that I need. They are especially useful for things like electrical. I'm sure the dedicated programs like Autocad are better, if not easier, since if there's limited familiarity there is a steep learning curve. There are a number of vector-based illustration programs available as apps for IOS and Android (ie. Adobe Sketch and Line, others) that mimic the desktop applications but leverage a slightly different approach. Big advantage of using them is that once you are familiar with the program, you can draw things directly for a customer to better visualize.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 05-11-2015 at 2:27 PM.

I have tried a few and settled on Microsoft Visio. It's 2D..supports layers, transparency, flexible line routing, etc. Easy to use.
    Bob C

Visio is a Windows platform only product ... though Windows can be virtualized on OSX and Linux. I find Visio produces excellent Flow Charts and Business process diagrams, ok ERDs ... I'll have to try some other drawing types in Visio. Thanks Bob!

One thing I discovered recently is that Sketchup exports 3ds drawings which can be browsed with Autodesk's free viewer. https://360.autodesk.com/viewer

Has anyone fiddled with any of the iPad, Android or Surface tablet programs like Morpholio Trace (excellent), Archisketch or Arrette Scale? I would think any would be a good way to fiddle with a shop layout at minimal investment.

Few Options:

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/05...orkshop-layout

The Easyshop Shop Planner sends to an old location, so here is the current:

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/the-woo...-software.html

I'm wanting to try this program out myself when I get a chance.