Thread: Focus question

Focus question

I have been tryng to use the laer to apply #'s on some clock faces I produced on my cnc machine.
    Due to the varying thickness of the carving; I am having focus issues. Would getting a different lens for my laser mitigate this issue?
    Here is a link to photos of my problem. sorry but SMC would not let me upload the photos twice.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...75#post1071675
    Thanks for the help.
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

A longer lens would help, a 4" vs a 2", for example. How about leaving a small area uncarved for the numbers? You could even use the cnc to carve the letters, vcarve would do quite well with that.

Gary

You look so much younger than that old guy who's picture you used to use!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

You still wouldn't be too happy with the results from a longer focus lens, That's the problem with lasers, they have to be in focus to do a nice job.
    I like the suggestion of leaving small flat areas for each number, but also,
    you might consider cutting the numbers from 1/8" wood, and mounting them into holes with dowels so they sort of hover on the same level plane.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    You still wouldn't be too happy with the results from a longer focus lens, That's the problem with lasers, they have to be in focus to do a nice job.
    I like the suggestion of leaving small flat areas for each number, but also,
    you might consider cutting the numbers from 1/8" wood, and mounting them into holes with dowels so they sort of hover on the same level plane.
    That would work. but the extra machining and labor cost would make this project unrealistic. I will keep searching for my niche.
    Thanks
    Jim J.
    LaserCut 5.3

Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

James, nice looking work! Can I ask why you're bothering with trying to do the letters on the laser instead of just adding them to the file with your cutting them? Wouldn't it be easier to put the numbers into the shape and let it mill those as well?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    James, nice looking work! Can I ask why you're bothering with trying to do the letters on the laser instead of just adding them to the file with your cutting them? Wouldn't it be easier to put the numbers into the shape and let it mill those as well?
    Scott; those projects did not start out to be clocks,they were test pieces while learning my CnC router and related software.
    I wanted to do something useful with them and decided on a clock face.
    Because the dark laser numbers make excellent contrast to the natural wood background, I may incorporate the laser into future projects. I just need to plan ahead and not do it as an afterthought.
    LaserCut 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    they were test pieces while learning my CnC router and related software.
    James,

Adding to the suggestion of raised flat pads engraved as numbers, what about doing that then rastering those flat pad tops?

Since the router is operating from a drawing the pads will be positioned very accurately and thus should be easy to locate for alignment for the laser. That would give you the contrast on the numbers you seek.

I would make jigs (1 for router, 1 for laser) that locates the clock face on the center hole and also has an indexing hole somewhere on the blank for angular location. Something that can later be trimmed off or made a feature.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Non of my business but, have you thought about not having all the numbers? Maybe something for the 12,3,6 and 9? Looks to busy to me. IMHO sometimes less is more.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Design and planning

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robison View Post
    Non of my business but, have you thought about not having all the numbers? Maybe something for the 12,3,6 and 9? Looks to busy to me. IMHO sometimes less is more.
    Actually my first design was a 12-3-6-9; but SOMBO didn't like it.
    I think that in the future both styles will be coming off the production line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Adding to the suggestion of raised flat pads engraved as numbers, what about doing that then rastering those flat pad tops?

Since the router is operating from a drawing the pads will be positioned very accurately and thus should be easy to locate for alignment for the laser. That would give you the contrast on the numbers you seek.

I would make jigs (1 for router, 1 for laser) that locates the clock face on the center hole and also has an indexing hole somewhere on the blank for angular location. Something that can later be trimmed off or made a feature.
    Dave :
    I was thinking along these lines myself. I just need to plan the whole project with the laser in mind from step one.
    LaserCut 5.3