Thread: laquer finish engraving

laquer finish engraving

I have a customer who wants me to laser engrave a sword scabbard that is "wood black laquered multiple times" if I attempt this will it laser ok without a color fill or should it be color filled? I wasn't sure if the heavy laquer coating would react badly or not. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Hi Cindy,

I can't help with the laser-lacquer question, but it sounds like it might be an expensive scabbard. I'd make sure the customer accepts all responsibilities if the stuff catches fire or something.

A lot of older lacquered items were shellac and Denatured Alcohol based and they burn, scorch and blister very easily.

"All care taken, but no responsibility." Depending on the value of the scabbard to the customer, I would be cautious about taking on the job.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

It will likely take a couple passes. One to cut through the finish & another to burn the wood. I would be very concerned about scorching/melting of the finish.

Personally, I would not take on this liability. With or without a signed agreement from the customer. Unless the sword is easily replaceable.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I've done these and they work ok. If you do accept it for engraving apply a thin coat of minwax paste wax on it before you engrave (will trap the "smoke"), engrave as usual then with a damp cloth-NOT WET- remove the smoked areas and lightly buff the wax off. Should turn out fine.

Every spring I do many swords and scabards for some kind of Japanese role play/game club. I don't like doing them as they are not all uniform, even though they come from the same mfg's and look identical, as they can vary in width by 1/32nd in the same areas----you know what that means----centering can be off!!! But I have learned OH Grasshopper as you shall now

Bruce

I would first suggest a brass plate. It looks good and does no irreversible damage to the scabbard.

Second, it can be engraved but do it in more than one pass and with a mask.
    the mask keeps the area surrounding the engraving in good condition and a light polishing will be all that is necessary after the color fill (gold).
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you all for your input I politely declined the job because I did not want to chance something going wrong because I couldn't replace it.