Thread: Outboard Costs

Outboard Costs

It has been many years since I purchased an outboard motor (last was a 140 Evinrude VRO). I recently bought a boat without an engine so as not to inherit any problems. BIG MISTAKE on my part. I usually investigate things thoroughly but I didnt. I was looking for a 200 to 225 Yamaha. Since when did outboards outprice automobiles. Sixteen to Twenty Thousand were the estimates. I sold the boat. What makes an outboard so expensive ? Ed

LOL I just did this ..... Twin 200 hp HO's Evinrudes ....OUCH !

But 44knts puts me on the fish first.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Precison machining and casting, raw materials, electrical components plus assembly labor. My two stroke Yamaha 50 was $4300.

At some point, didn't the law require all new engines be 4-stroke?
    That makes them more expensive.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Living in America makes them expensive. Just look at perscription drugs and clothing as another example.

I have one that cost me $189 new, a 1.2HP that I use on the canoe.

I thought that California only had severe smog laws that does allow 2 stroke engines but they have to produce like 90% less smog, so very expensive to build.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

i have an old rude 2.3 i paid $100 for at a yard sale. runs fine but has no neutral or reverse. luckily its on the inflatable. i just crash into my destination.

i also have a boat with twin inboards....the price of new outboards is outrageous.

My new Rudes are 2-stroke and Certified for California emissions...So I guess we can blame the 'Country of California' for the additional costs.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ed O'Neill View Post
    It has been many years since I purchased an outboard motor (last was a 140 Evinrude VRO). I recently bought a boat without an engine so as not to inherit any problems. BIG MISTAKE on my part. I usually investigate things thoroughly but I didnt. I was looking for a 200 to 225 Yamaha. Since when did outboards outprice automobiles. Sixteen to Twenty Thousand were the estimates. I sold the boat. What makes an outboard so expensive ? Ed
    I would imagine that it is because inboards and I/Os are essentially standard engines (ours was a modified Chevy) tweaked for marine use whereas outboards are completely new designs. That and they usually are much more compact for a given horsepower which also means higher engineering costs, harder to machine, etc.
    mike