Thread: Federal Breakers

Federal Breakers

I am planning on adding 220 to my garage, which will consist of 1 outlet on a dedicated breaker. I know the older stablok federal breakers are not the safest in the world, but that is what's in my house and what I have to deal with. Can anyone tell me if the newer ones made today are safer? I can buy the breaker I need at Lowes, which I was planning on a 30 amp to run a table saw off of and maybe some other tools (will have to switch each time I change tools).

I don't know for some reason this is bothering me more than it should.

If you can find some NOS Federal Pioneer breakers you will do fine, Federal Pioneer is Canadian made & there does not seem to be the problems like there is W/ Federal Pacific, the breakers found at Lowes are Chinese built UBI brand they also build replacements for Zinsco & ITE Pushmatic & frankly I don't trust Chinese electrical products, used OEM breakers would be IMO a better choice if a Federal Pioneer breaker cannot be found.

Be careful about the 30A rating. NEC requires you to use a 30A-specific receptacle on a 30A circuit.

If you're using "normal" tools, a 20A/240v circuit should be fin and you can plug either 15A or 20A loads into that circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cranford View Post
    I am planning on adding 220 to my garage, which will consist of 1 outlet on a dedicated breaker. ... I was planning on a 30 amp to run a table saw off of and maybe some other tools (will have to switch each time I change tools).
    It doesn't address your primary question, but if you know you're going to be using other tools on the circuit as well as the tablesaw, while you're running the circuit, why not go ahead and add outlets in convenient places and avoid the aggravation of plugging and unplugging every time you need to change tools?

From the 1 outlet plan, it's obvious that you're not anticipating running more than one tool at a time. Unless you have, or plan to have, individual tools in the 5HP range, is there any reason for going to 30 amps? A 240volt/20 amp circuit would satisfy the needs of single tools up to about 3HP and the difference in cost between 10ga and 12 ga wire might pay for a couple of additional outlets. Not to mention the ease of working with 12ga as compared to 10ga.

Just curious.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 03-05-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA