Thread: Running conduit and dust ducting

Running conduit and dust ducting

I can't decide if it would be better to run the cyclone ducting against the ceiling and the conduit underneath, or the conduit against and the ducting underneath? Are there benefits or issues with one way or the other?

Also, how have you gotten electric and duct into the center of the room, for example- to a table saw, without it being in the way. I don't want to trip over nor do I want it to be in the way overhead. In-floor is NOT an option. It will have to come from a wall or ceiling. I think my best bet will be to run both under an outfeed table but that will add more ducting than I would like.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 03-06-2009 at 8:59 AM. Reason: syntax

Rick, I found it easier to run the conduit 1st and then duct. The Duct can bend around the conduit easier than the other way around. I also have one spot where I step over the duct work and it is a slight nuisance. All my other lines are on the ceiling and if I was to do it over, this line would also drop down from the ceiling. my 2 cents.

Tim

Thanks Tim. That seems to make the most sense. The conduit will likely stay where I put it initially and I could change the ductwork if I decide to later on.

My dilemma is with the saw in the middle of the room I don't know how I can get electric and dust collection to it WITHOUT having to trip over something. If I drop from the ceiling I would still have to keep it three or more feet away from the sides and eight feet clear of the front and back of the saw. Looking for some ideas from others.Plus that would be like having a 6X6 post somewhere, not to mention that the OH garage doors' hardware will already be in the way!

I ran SJO 12-3 flexible cord along my ducting. This is how I got it to my tablesaw.

Hi Rick,
    I used the MC(?) flexible conduit from the panel along the ceiling to a box and receptacle mounted to the beam rafters, then made an extentsion cord to drop to the machines. The ducting runs separately along the ceiling with drops to the machines. I have the Ecogates mounted at the machines so I don't have to hassle with opening/closing gates and no stepping/tripping over stuff. The flex has the conductors in it and it is quick and simple to run. You can move it easily if you reconfigure your shop too.

Thanks for the pic, Leo. I guess the best way is to run things overhead and drop to the saw on one side. I have a contractor saw right now so the dc will connect underneath meaning I can drop to either side of the saw. I don't mind running a longer cord to an outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I ran SJO 12-3 flexible cord along my ducting. This is how I got it to my tablesaw.

I don't know about in the US, however in Canada, flexible cord can neither be used as a substitute for permanent wiring, nor attached to anything.

So running along the ductwork wouldn't be allowed.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I don't know about in the US, however in Canada, flexible cord can neither be used as a substitute for permanent wiring, nor attached to anything.

So running along the ductwork wouldn't be allowed.

Regards, Rod.
    Agreed. If it was an "extension cord" with a plug and connector on it, then you could do it because it's not part of the building wiring and the electrical codes wouldn't apply.

Rick;
    My shop is in the basement and I had this problem also, until I saw cut a slot in the floor to take the 6 inch tube and the power conduit. I have a router in the saw table so all my electric for the saw,router, and outlet around the island are included. I back filled the cut with sand and toped it
    off with two inches of concrete. I have the dust collection for the top of saw
    coming from the top down to the blade guard. If I ever want to move it all
    I have to do is remove the lines and patch the floor back. I like it so much better then it was. Jim
    Jim Shockey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Agreed. If it was an "extension cord" with a plug and connector on it, then you could do it because it's not part of the building wiring and the electrical codes wouldn't apply.
    That is exactly how it is run. I have a plug on both ends and it is just used as an extension cord. This is not permanent wiring, I never know when I might change the layout of my shop.

Leo, as long as it's not attached to anything, you're OK then........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Leo, as long as it's not attached to anything, you're OK then........Rod.
    Everything is on wheels. Even if it wasn't alright, that's the way it is staying.