Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting for the Workshop

Lighting for the Workshop

If anyone wants to have the correct lighting for their workshop I would suggest the following article that was published in Fine Woodworking, February 2002 issue by Jack L Lindsey, LIGHTING FOR THE WORKSHOP. I followed his formula and have been pleased with the results.
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Jerry,

I used Jack's article to design and select the lights for my shop. I've been pleased as punch and...everyone who comes to my shop likes the lighting. BTW...Jack is a member here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks, Ken and Jerry. It's nice to know that the info was helpful. In addition to the 26 years I spent in lighting, both as a designer and an engineer, I taught lighting in community colleges and at a state university. The most rewarding thing a teacher can experience is learning that others have successfully used the information to accomplish something of value, and comments like yours make it worthwhile.

Add me to the list Jack. I know we have posted on the same lighting threads before, on a couple forums, and your information in that article still holds true. NOW, I need some money to buy the last 5 fixtures!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks for the reminder of that reference, Jerry! ('Hope all is well with you and yours)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I, too followed Jack's advice on lighting my workshop. I am at the high side of candlepower at workbench height but with my old eyes I am greatful for Jack's advice. Freinds have commented on how well my shop is lit so I guess it is fine. I know I have no need for task lighting.

Smile Would like to see article

Is it available anywhere online? I would like to read the article but do not have that issue.
    Thanks

Guy...I bought the article from FWW. I forget the exact price but it wasn't unreasonable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Nelson View Post
    Is it available anywhere online? I would like to read the article but do not have that issue.
    Thanks
    It is online if you're a subscriber to the FWW website. They have a lot of articles available online for the website subscribers.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Thanks, Jim O'Dell and Chris. And, yes, Jim, we have crossed paths on a couple of forums. I remember your photo. Hope all is well with you.

What may be a note of interest to those installing new lighting systems: when I wrote the article for FWW it was difficult to find T8 lamps and electronic ballasts, especially in rural areas, so I concentrated on T12 lamps, both full wattage and energy saving.

T8's and electronic ballasts are now pretty universally available and they do outperform T12 lamps. They are close enough in performance, though, to simply use the info and tables in my article on a one for one basis.

even after reading the article how would i figure the lights in my shop
    36 x 29 with 12' ceilings
    white walls and ceiling

Phil,

It depends on which lamp you want to use. I strongly recommend the 32 watt T8 lamps and electronic ballasts. If you use two lamp 4' fixtures you need a total of 32 fixtures. Install them in 4 rows of 8 fixtures per row. Alternately you could use sixteen 8' fixtures with either two 8' lamps or four 4' lamps. I'd go with the 4 footers. Then use 4 fixtures per row. Space the rows closest to the walls about 2 1/2 feet from the wall, with about 8' between rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lindsey View Post
    Phil,

It depends on which lamp you want to use. I strongly recommend the 32 watt T8 lamps and electronic ballasts. If you use two lamp 4' fixtures you need a total of 32 fixtures. Install them in 4 rows of 8 fixtures per row. Alternately you could use sixteen 8' fixtures with either two 8' lamps or four 4' lamps. I'd go with the 4 footers. Then use 4 fixtures per row. Space the rows closest to the walls about 2 1/2 feet from the wall, with about 8' between rows.
    wow

thanks Jack

I have three old eight footers in there now

but it needs a lot more

thanks again

phil

Glad I could help.

Jack