Thread: Project: Updated Shop-Class Serving Tray

Project: Updated Shop-Class Serving Tray

More than thirty years ago, I had the good fortune to attend an elementary school where shop was part of the curriculum. My big brother went through the same class 5 years before I did. Both of us built a serving tray in grade seven. I still have mine. He gave his to our folks, and they've used it ever since. But it is starting to show it's age.

Here's mine:
    tray-orig.jpg

It was great beginner project. The base was a piece of Mahogany plwood, and the sides were cut from pine. The sides did not come together at the corners, so there were no "difficult" miter joints (remember, seventh grade boys!) or other fancy work. To build this project, we just needed to cut out some simple curves on the scroll saw, sand the result, and then put it together with some glue and nails.

I considered a few options when designing a replacement, but settled on a somewhat similar plan, with just a few tweaks. First, I made the sides wrap all the way around the outside, and next, I added some contrasting wood "keys" to strengthen and beautify the miters. Oh, and I chose different materials, which also quite changes the look. I used Cherry for the sides, a Baltic Birch base, and Maple keys in the miters.

Here's the result:
    tray1-corner.jpg tray1-overview.jpg

(a few more details and photos can be found on my web page.)
    "It's Not About You."

Hi Art,

Nice tray, and you just solved a problem for me. One of my Godsons is coming into town with his wife and 2 boys (8 and 10) next month. He asked if I could keep them busy for an afternoon while he and his wife tour the city. I think this will be a good project to introduce them to woodworking, and give them a present to give to their Mother afterward.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Nice trays young Art & old Art. I'm sure your parents will be happy with this new one. So are you saying that you (and your tray) are better than your big brother? Wow! That may be grounds for an old fashioned beat down by the big bro.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Nice trays young Art & old Art. I'm sure your parents will be happy with this new one. So are you saying that you (and your tray) are better than your big brother? Wow! That may be grounds for an old fashioned beat down by the big bro.
    Y'know, I really have no idea why they asked me to build this and not him. I'm betting it is mostly just because we happened to be visiting (rather than him) and I mentioned that I was "between projects".

Hi Brent, Yeah, it is a good starter project. But for just the afternoon, with a couple of complete beginners, I'd go with the first design. No miters. I did not post a photo of the bottom, but there are a few nail holes. These days, I'd use a pinner or equivalent and that would let the boys get it done that much faster. Now the finishing is going to be the far slower process from the boys point of view. Got a sprayer?

...art
    "It's Not About You."

Hey Art,

I was definitely thinking of the first tray. I'll prep most of the work letting them cut out the hand holds on the scroll saw or maybe the bandsaw. They will use nails and glue to put it together, and because I have a mean steak, a bit of sanding . As far as finishing goes, either wipe on poly or just salad bowl wax. I think just being able to do the simple stuff will be interesting enough given their ages.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Nice work, Art... I also took WW shop but latter in HS and that's how I got the interest which began in earnest in 1972 seven years after HS. My old shop teacher owns a very successful furnitture store about 6 blocks away as WW was eventually phased out. He and his wife retired as teachers but he opened the store before they retired.

Your parents will be proud...

Sarge..

Very nice work, Art!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The new one with the improved joinery should outlive you!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"