Thread: Platter finish?

Platter finish?

Whats everyone think of CA as a finish for platters? Would it be safe to use for serving? Or just for decoration?

Whats your preferred finish on a platter?

Although it would be safe, Ii would not use it myself.
    I use 1 or 2 coats of dewaxed shellac and then wipe-on poly until it is the desired gloss.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I too use thin shellac and then buff using the beal buffing process with carnuba wax. Dan

I used CA on a pen (5 coats of medium applying to a spinning pen - - about 2-3 seconds per application). I would think that it might be a challenge to apply to something as large as a platter as the "working time" is so short. I recall being told that the CA surface tacks in around 5 seconds.

Some other potential issues: You would also need to use a fan to blow the fumes away instead of breathing them or getting your fingerprints permanently recorded on your glasses.

Well, I want every thing I make to be used, and the more it is used, the better. So, that is why I prefer the walnut oils. Other than that, if you are displaying it on the wall, a surface finish. If it is a display piece on a table with 'things' in it, I prefer a wipe on poly, multiple coats, then a surface finish on top of that.

robo hippy

CA would not be my first choice, simply because of the large area that you have to cover. It's OK for pens or small items, but not for a platter.

I'm with Reed in that I want people to use and wash my platters, so I finish mine with Danish Oil. If it's strictly a display piece, a couple coats of wipe on poly should be easy enough.

Thanks everyone. I would prefer that it be used so I'll try the oil finish.