Thread: Steady rest for spindles?

Steady rest for spindles?

I am making a Windsor chair and have some small diameter spindles to make.

A steady rest would be helpful and I'm considering a Oneway to fit my PM3520.

Any thoughts or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Have you considered making one? Google "steady rest plans" for a zillion ideas. Many people make them using rollerblade wheels but there are lots of options.

I do a lot of spindles and don't have a steady rest - I use my left hand to support while cutting with right for everything from shovel handles to more delicate thin spindles (such as conductor's batons and "Harry Potter" wands.) If I needed to make a bunch of long legs I might make one but I probably wouldn't if just making a chair or two.

BTW, thin spindles are a LOT easier to turn if you don't turn them between centers but hold one end securely in a chuck and support just the right end with a center. This prevents the left portion from flexing and makes the whole spindle easier. I often turn a short morse taper on one end (holding it between centers) then press the taper into the headstock. This holds securely and gives more working room around the left end. I made a little template to size the MT quickly.

B02_morse_taper_comp.jpg D02_thinner_IMG_5030.jpg G01_finished_wand_IMG_5047.jpg

JKJ

Consider getting the bowl steady instead. It can be used as a steady rest for spindle work, just need to position it on the correct side to support the thrust of your cutting. Also works for its intended purpose of bowl steady :-).

If you were going to go with a bowl steady the one from Oneway is $20 cheaper at Lee Valley and you can get the Spindle Steady attachment for it from Oneway....

Google string steady rest. Excellent for small spindle work.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).