Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

ahhh I thought that Davids was a conventional lathe and this came up in a search for "bowl lathe" thanks for the clarification.

Need someone to make the same spindle as in the photo, with the two pillow block bearings, anyone interested//
    Let me Know
    Bob Anthony

Mark, what would you charge me to make one for me, Headstock..robanthony101@yahoo.com
    thanks Bob

Mark, how much would you charge me to make a headstock exactly like yours ? Please e-mail me and let me know
    Thanks
    Bob Anthony
    robanthony101@yahoo.com

Bob,

Norm hasn't been active on the site for years and has since sold this lathe to another member, that had no hand in the initial headstock design and construction. So, your best bet would be to order the parts (bearings and pillow blocks) and have a local machinist make the shaft to your specifications.

Just an FYI.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Mark used "off the shelf" pillow block bearings and had the spindle machined at a shop out of 2" steel round stock. If you have one made, I would like to offer a couple of suggestions. Have the spindle bored for a #2 or #3 morse taper. Have the machinist bore a 1/2" hole through the length of the spindle which will allow you to use a knock out rod and also a vacuum chuck. And while he is at it, have a pair of flats milled somewhere along the length of the spindle so that a wrench can be used when mounting and removing chucks.
    David DeCristoforo

7. Thanks to Mark Norman and others on Sawmill Creek, I just finished my concrete wood lathe using an old flat belt metal lathe headstock instead of pillow blocks. It works wonderfully well and has been fun building. Thanks to all on this website. Uploading a picture has failed, but if interested, you can see a youtube of it that my son put together.
    Concrete Wood Lathe/Metal Spinning
    Keith

That's the way to go big. Look like a lot of speed range also. Head stock should hold anything short of the whole tree. Thanks for sharing
    Member Illiana Woodturners