Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color filling

Good job Fred. Looks great! Did you end up just wiping on and then wiping off the white enamel so that all that was left was in the engraving?
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Fred

Very good job. I would not have thought of using white.

Tim may be on to something but I think with black you would do it as you did but with white you would invert it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

the plaque is going to be used on a TV show as a prop on a wall in an office set. im thinking that the white would really bring out the image being that the plaque is so dark . and tim i will try next time inverting the image see how it comes out

mike: i used a squeege to apply the paint then whiped it off then i used a lil paint thinner to do a light cleanup
    thanks guys
    FRED SANCHEZ
    Universal VLS3.60 , Roland GX24 , CorelDraw X3 , Windows XP

Fill Engraving

Hi Guys;
    One of the easiest ways to fill a finished plaque/whatever is to use Elmers wood fill-thin it out with water a bit if its too thick. Sp[read it on-let in dry about 1 minute and wipe off the excess. This stuff won't bleed into the wood like stains or shoe polish and dries quickly. Also comes in white, natural, walnut, red oak, mahogany.
    I do not have any relationship with Elmer, the company, or any other left wing liberal group.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

hey george where do i get that ? id love to try it
    FRED SANCHEZ

Hey Fred;
    Home Depot, Lowes, just about any hardware/lumber store carries Elmers-maybe not in all shades. The Home Depot here carries all of them in various sizes-cheap and works great-no muss no fuss.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Postscript

Forgot to mention;
    Elmers can also be colored -I use craft store acyrlics.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

I have been using craft store acrylic paints for color fills on plaques and picture frames. Squeegee it on to get the paint in the engraving, and then clean the excess immediately (and I mean as soon as you get done working it in...the one time I let it dry on the wood before I cleaned it, the paint seeped into the wood grain even though the frame was sealed ie. engravable frame from Laserbits.) with a paper towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol. I have noticed some (minimal) wicking into the wood on occasion. I will have to try sealing the item first. I also intend to see how masking works out. We originally were using color fill from Laserbits, but that was a bit pricey and we discovered the acrylic paints work just as well and come in a wider array of colors.

~Alicia
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

9. what is turtle wax color cure car polish?

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Baumwell View Post
    what is turtle wax color cure car polish?
    Turtle wax may call it something else in the U.S. But you should be able to find it in any automotive store that sells car waxes etc.. It comes in a few colours, but black is really the only one that works for wood.. It's used on cars to wax/polish/remove minor scratches etc.. Try this Google link

http://www.google.ca/search?q=turtle...ient=firefox-a
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Fred, Although the image quality is quite good, it looks more like a negative. Next go around, try inverting the image, then use the black.
    I agree with Tim. The image has turned out really well and praise to you for that, but a good tip to remember is that on dark objects, negative is what is required. That said, still looks very nice.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Once again thanks for all your tips and coments
    FRED SANCHEZ