Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fluorescent light wiring question

fluorescent light wiring question

I think someone asked this before but I couldn't find the answer. My new lights have the usual blk/wht power wires, along with red/blue bulb wiring and yellow which I believe is the common, However as the one yellow come from the ballast to the end sockets it changes to white. Where this ties, there is a plug type connector which appears to be able to be used to plug something into but it does not seem necessary for the function of this individual light fixture. What is this plug/pigtail for? This is a 8' 4-bulb T8 light.

I would show a diagram/drawing but I don't know how to do that. Can someone explain how to to that too?

Basically here is the wiring from the ballast: two red and two blue going to the respective middle sockets. One yellow going to the two sockets on one end, one yellow going to the other end but halfway there it changes to white in a little pigtail/plug. It seems you could plug something in here to tie on some other wiring, but I don't know why or what.

Thanks for the help.

Obviously, none of us know, so far. If you would, Rick, post what brand and model the light is. A picture of it would help also.
    I'd have to take one of mine apart to see if it had anything like that. I don't remember any change in wiring color, nor do I remember a connector. If the wire had to be white going to where it terminates instead of yellow for electrical rules we don't know about much less understand, that may just be the manufacturer's method of the change. In an assembly line world, it may have been the cheapest way to make the change. Just a thought. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

The wire color change is no big deal. I'm just curious as to what the plug connector is for. Why not just have a butt connector or wire splice? Hopefully I have attached the right pics.

edit The light is a Simkar (simkar dot com) which I purchased from a reputable local electric supply (not from the Borg!)

also I see the ballast isn't easy to see but it is pretty normal. The yellow going left connects the two sockets left and the right is where the plug thingy I refer to is before it connects the right sockets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 03-08-2009 at 4:45 PM. Reason: more info

760 people online right now and no one has a clue?? I could e-mail the manufacturer, probably get an answer in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    edit The light is a Simkar (simkar dot com) which I purchased from a reputable local electric supply (not from the Borg!)
    Rick, the best information should come from the electrical supply place where you bought the lights. If they can't tell you how to wire them then take them back.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

thats not a plug.. its where they joined the wires together....
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    thats not a plug.. its where they joined the wires together....
    You may be right David. It's definitely a junction, but it also looks like it could be meant for something else. maybe I just need to take a break from this project.

That was my first thought also...but not being able to see the end to see if it has terminals inside that would make contact with a mating plug makes me still wonder. Have you wired them in to see if they work yet? I just looked at their web site...seems they have some pretty innovative stuff, but a quick trip through didn't show anything that would apply to your question. I think Don is right, ask the place you bought them from tomorrow. Wish one of us knew so you (and we!!) wouldn't have to wait for the answer! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

That is what is commonly called a "Wago" connector AKA a "Push & Pray" connector (push the wire in & pray it will stay) But they do work pretty decent for ballast replacement. I am including a link for a common model Advance Transformer Co. electronic ballast wiring diagram.

http://www.advancetransformer.com/eC...3895216511.pdf
    Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 03-08-2009 at 8:49 PM.

That looks like one of the new (expensive) quick wire connectors that replases the traditional wire nut.

It may be to split the bulbs. 4 bulb fixtures can be wired 2+2 what I mean is if you have 6 fixtures in your shop you can wire the two inside bulbs on each fixture to one switch and the outer 2 to a second switch.

This saves electricity as you can run half your lighting in the daytime or for normal work or turn on all bulbs for nightime or more critical work.

That looks like a splice. I have used something that looks just like that instead of a wire nut. It is just faster to use than a wire nut.

OK, Rick, you've had time to call and check on this thing...What is it???? Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-13-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: corrected name

Sorry, Jim, I actually went back to work this week after not having any for six weeks and I haven't had a smuch time lately (good thing).
    Anyway, it is merely a connector, as noted by several posters already. Thanks to all for their help.

Thanks Rick. Whewww! Now maybe I can sleep better. Jim.