Thread: Anything new on the Nova sharpening kit?

Anything new on the Nova sharpening kit?

I know there was a post not too long regarding the Nova sharpening jig/kit. I like the looks of it more than the Wolverine, though the Wolverine has been around longer. I am thinking of picking up a new grinder and thought about the Nova sharpening setup.

I ordered one, but have not received it yet. I've read a couple reviews, can't remember where, they were not real complimentery. One guy wanted to send his back. There complaints didn't seem like show stoppers to me, but I've been using home made stuff. Skews I sharpen on a wet stone. I want this sharpener mainly for bowl gouges.

I have one and this was the post I made on the Nova Owners Group:

My initial foray with this system was the same as what Fred said and I was in touch with Teknatool immediately. Number one their instructions are in the process of being rewritten and this hopefully will insure that those who follow will not run into the problems that I came across. The instructions were apparently written for a 6" grinder and setting it up to those instructions led to multiple problems such as making it impossible to sharpen a skew. With the proper heights set for an 8" grinder things fell more into place. The main problem I still have is that the sharpening base top plate will move, I cannot get it tight enough and I relayed that to them and they mentioned a fix so we will see. As I mentioned in my initial response I did not like the fact that you had to remove the top plate to use the finger jig. I still feel that way and they have an option for bench mount base coming out in June (I told them that I thought that it should have been included). All that aside after getting the right height setup I was able to sharpen the skew and do a good job on the spindle roughing gouge.
    The Finger Grind Jig turned out to be a nice surprise for me. Again the directions were not the best (absent would better describe it better). Once told how it works it works fine. If your used to using the Wolverine jig you naturally think that the arm is what you need to adjust to get the right distance for the grinder, Not. The arm is stationary and the part that I thought would be stationary at the end of the arm is what moves, it slides up and down the arm and is called the Finger Arm Slider (part # 11). I preceded to sharpen 6 of my Thompson Bowl Gouges 3/4 V, 5/8 V, 1/2 V, 3/8 V, 3/8 Spindle, and a 3/8 Detail all with better control than my Vari-Grind. I then tried the Finger Jig on the Wolverine system and I have a much easier time keeping the tool on the stone than with the Vari-Grind jig, this was a pleasant surprise. The fact that you can put a gouge into it up to 1" is a bonus also and it does hold the tool securely. I would keep the system for no other reason than this jig.
    Also in June there is to be a diamond dressing jig coming out that should work well if the plate tightening can be fixed. That to me is one of the most important things that has to be done to get sharp tools, the wheels must be dressed properly.
    I am going to keep this system and I can easily fix the plate issue but I will wait to see what Teknatool does. I will also have this grinder set up so that I can move the stand to either side of the grinder for the diamond dressing operation.
    After using the Wolverine system for years it is tough to think outside the box that you get used to. Is this system perfect, no, is it workable, yes with the proper directions for setup a novice should be able to sharpen their tools with out a problem. Remember that this setup is at the moment $89 compared to $168 for the Wolverine to do the same things and myself I like the Finger Jig better than the Vari-Grind (I have an idea that I'm going to try on the Vari-Grind that I'll share if it works).
    Fred if you are using an 8" grinder the top plate needs to be positioned 5/8 above the center of the grinding wheel. I also found that just screws were not enough to hold the system solidly. I added washers and the system was much more solid and you should leave room with the screws to move the system towards the grinder as the wheel is used up as the 1mm dimension is very important in its use.
    If there are any questions I'll try to answer them.

I had one last week. Built a base for it. Installed it. Didn't like it at all. Sent it back the next day. Bought a wolverine and breathed a big sigh of relief.

Reasons:
    1. Could not lock down the top tilt plate solid enough with the two small wing nuts - it moved under very slight pressure
    2. Did not like having to remove the top plate everytime I want to using the finger grind jig. This was big for me. I use a bowl gauge and a scraper. With the wolverine, one side stays configured for the vari-grind jig and one side can stay configured for the table to sharpen a scraper. With the nova jig, I would have to be constantly changing the configuration in and out. Seemed like a real pain.
    3. Could not lock down the arm tight enough on the vari-grind jig on the nova system. It has only one pivot/anchor point. On the wolverine, the vari-grand has a separate pivot point and a separate lock down point on the arm. It locks up really tight with this system.
    4. Overall cheap feel of the Nova system - the base plate and top tilting plate of the nova system just feel like thin stamped metal versus the heavy thick metal used in the wolverine.
    4. Small hardware - nuts and bolts were tiny - just felt weak.

Yes, these are the two reviews I read (after I ordered). I will see how it works for me. Right now my platform I us to set the angle for a scraper is made of wood. Had to put the fire out every time I used it!

Anyone know anything further about this? Has it been improved or is it still considered junk?

Thanks,
    Joshua

I got it last week. I haven't used it too much, but I really like the finger grind jig. Easy to use, easy to set up, and able to grind any size gouge. The problem is the grinding platform. I found it to be stable as long as you don't put too much pressure on it. I have no use for the sliding attachment. The other problem is that the base is as wide as the platform and has to be centered on the wheel. My grinder has a well used wheel. The issue is that the platform is supposed to be 1mm from the wheel, but the base of the grinder will be getting in the way after a few more dressings. So, if your grinder has a solid platform for sharpening skews and parting chisels, add the finger grind jig to the other side and save money over any other system. Overall, I would buy it again.

I know this is old but maybe someone can answer. I bought this jig a lone time ago and am just now trying to set it up. Here's my problem, it came with to sets of instruction. There is the little manual and also 2 sheets of paper with setup instructions. The manual says the plate top needs to be 5/8" above the center of the grinding wheel. Them little manual say 3/8" above the center. Anyone know which it is? I e-mail Teknatool the other day but no response yet.

Paul,

I don't have this jig but reading some of the other posts indicates that the original instructions (3/8") were for a 6" grinder and that 5/8" is correct for an 8"grinder. I am not sure about that but check and see if either set of instructions mention the grinder size. You might also read Bill Blasic's post in detail, he mentions the 5/8" setting for 8" grinder.
    John Trax

It is talking about a 6" in both cases, it says, I'm going with the 5/8" because the paper sheets appear to be an update. It had some replacement nuts in a bag stapled to it that were a mod, so I figure it can after the manual.

Thanks for the reply

OKAY got it together and used it. Here is my impression so far. SAVE YOU MONEY! I have only used the skew sharpen portion so far. You slide the skew on the guide back and forth to sharpen it. Because all the filings fall right on the guide you have to stop and clean it about every two passes. It is hard, for me anyway, to keep the skew lined up on the guide, hold it flat and move the guide back and forth while advanceing the skew ever so slightly after each pass. Lot's fro practice may improve that. Workable yes, but a PITA!. I haven't used the finger grind portion yet, but, I think it will work fine. BUT so did the system I built out of wood. Just not worth the money, IMHO. But I have it, I will work with it. I bought it because I have the Nova 1624 lathe, which I love. They need to stick to building lathes and chucks.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 01-04-2010 at 3:43 PM.