Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airconditioning in the shop...

Airconditioning in the shop...

Ok, so lately we've been talking about heat but I would imagine we all find 90 degree heat as uninspiring as single digits. I'm curious to know what you all use as AC units, particularly in a garage setting where a window unit cannot be used. My shop is a 9x10 space in a 1/2 car garage and I was wondering about a mobile AC unit but find the reviews on amazon for most to be rather negative. I am thinking however, that in 90 square feet, one of the better units may just get the job done. What do you guys use in the summer???

PS

You might consider a PTAC unit - the combo heater/AC units used in motel rooms. It can provide both heat and AC. I put one into a hole I cut in the garage side wall and the heat option works great. I'll try the AC this summer. Paid about $500 on Ebay.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I bought a small room air conditioner for $79 (CDN) at Home Depot last summer. I was shocked you could get a unit so cheaply. I would think it would do 90 sq feet. I am using this unit at home on the top floor.
    AC in my shop is a Must now that I have experienced it. I can't stand humidity.

i just put insulation in my garage this past winter and im hoping it will make a difference this summer, do you guys have any idea whether the insulation alone will keep it cooler inside or will i need to get a window unit as well? my shop is 24x28 with 8 foot ceiling r13 in walls and r 19 in ceiling. looking at the AC units at lwes last night it looks like ill need a fairly large unit to cool that much space, the windows in my shop arent really all that big so im curious about alternatives as well

I use a Mr Slim from Mitsubishi to cool my shop. If I had it to do over I would add the heating option as I could have used it a few days this past winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i just put insulation in my garage this past winter and im hoping it will make a difference this summer, do you guys have any idea whether the insulation alone will keep it cooler inside or will i need to get a window unit as well? my shop is 24x28 with 8 foot ceiling r13 in walls and r 19 in ceiling. looking at the AC units at lwes last night it looks like ill need a fairly large unit to cool that much space, the windows in my shop arent really all that big so im curious about alternatives as well
    Last year I put a 12000 btu small window air conditioner in my 29 x 38 shop with 12' ceilings.

I need to control humidity so I figured I would use this old air conditioner to get the humidity out. I was surprised that it kept the shop at a comfortable 74 degrees during the summer. I figure that there is only one window, one normal entrance door, the 14' barn doors where never opened, the metal siding is light beige, and the buildings 60' length is orientated east to west are factors that gave me these amazing results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    Mike,

In my experience, insulation alone won't keep your shop cool; maybe cooler than the outdoors temp on a blazing hot day, but not cool in real terms. For that you need active cooling.

I agree with Bob Slater -- it made a huge difference in my workday when I put AC in my shop, and improved the work, too -- no more dripping sweat onto the finish I was applying !

Mike G
    Insulation will make a lot of difference. When I go into my pole barn in the Summer when it is hot outside, the building is actually cold. Insulation is still not enough. I get by with a couple of large fans but frequently wish I had some AC. In one of my buildings that runs North and South I can open the North end and the South end and if there is any breeze it is nice to work in.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    I use a Mr Slim from Mitsubishi to cool my shop. If I had it to do over I would add the heating option as I could have used it a few days this past winter.
    I have a similar Fujitsu ductless ac /heat pump. The heat pump has been a very good heating system this winter. The only problem is that it will not go below 60f for heating, and I would like to keep the shop just under 50 when I am not there. The Ac is basically silent in the summer.

Trane Heat pump.

I set it to 74/75 in the summer, and 61/65 in the winter.
    Best Regards, Ken

AC in the shop

I got a used portable 12k BTU AC last year, it helped considerably in our 120 degrees heat. I have a 2 car garage, half of it is my shop. Insulating the garage door with styrofoam sheets also helps a lot. Now is a good time to hunt the AC deals, I saw a new one for a 1/4 of the price recently.

Good luck.

Bob, this is the first winter in Florida that I could have used some heat. My shop never got below 50 but that get cool after awhile at the scroll saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherzod Niazov
    ... our 120 degrees heat.
    Good Lord, where do you live, Death Valley?!?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Good Lord, where do you live, Death Valley?!?

lol, not too far from that. Las Vegas.

+1 on the PTAC unit. My shop is 16 x 20 and the unit does a fine job of heating and cooling it. On a 90* day the 9000btu's of cooling will almost make it too cold if you want it to. (the shop is well insulated)

I was lucky enuff to get mine for free. It was in a retirement home, and after so many yrs of service if one breaks down and needs much work they replace it. Mine needed the bearings replaced in the fan motor, and had a sticky relay on the control circuit board. I did all the work myself and gave it a good deep cleaning. I also asked the HVAC tech to keep me in mind for any that get retired in the future for spare parts.

Matt