Thread: Recent Mural

1. Recent Mural

Just recently created this mural using an Epson 1400 Artainium ink and a DK20S press. The mural consists of six 12X12 tiles and came out pretty nice.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Explorer II 30W & Corel V12

Very Nice!

Is that you or 007?

3. it might be me in a few years pete the way my beard is rapidly turning from red to grey LOL! It's actually a famous picture of Earnest Hemingway..."the old man and the sea"

Tom

Tom,

Looks great!

What kind of tiles did you use?
    Source?

5. Hi Keith ,
    I got the tiles from Transferit.net , they are based here in San Diego about a fourty minute drive from me. The tiles are as mentioned 12X12 and have a glossy finish. I heat pressed then at 400d for about 12 mins.

Tom

Hey Tom,
    Looks Great. I thought it was done on a laser until I read on. How much time and costs do you think you have into it? How much do you think you can sell it for? I am doing some on 12x12 pure black marble tiles and hoping to do large format, entire walls, with 12x12's. Just doing a comparison from dye sub to laser engrave and maybe which one is more cost effective and durable.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

7. Hi Michael,
    If I was to laser engrave a mural for outdoors I would go with granite. it holds up a lot better to the elements, more so that marble. You won't get the same detail as marble, but marble can be used indoors. With that said , the comparison in price between the sub tiles and marble is almost the same. The main benefit I see is that I can buy what I need when I need it from a store here in San Diego. When I order Absolute black marble on the net I have to deal with minimum orders, which means I have to buy 100sq feet at a time and factor in the shipping. Sub tiles can be ordered on the net in a box as needed and work out about $6.00 per tile. It is also much faster to put a mural together compared to lasering the same size tiles. Assuming you have a heat press and the printer plus the ink and transfer paper you can put a mural like the one show together for around ( guessing here ) $10.00 per tile, thats for material. I would sell each tile for around $40.00 so times that six. Now thats just my price, others may be way higher( or lower?). I like the fact that I can use color and offer a wide variety of tile sizes and prices, especially in this economy. The tiles also come in different finishes. I like using my laser but am now getting way more into sub tiling. There is also less work involved getting an image ready to use, no super expensive programs. All you need is Corel and a decent photo program. I put that mural together in about 2 hours, from photo editing to printing and pressing.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Cullen; 03-09-2009 at 6:59 PM.

8. Michael ,
    when I sell my marble tiles I charge $75.00 plus state tax. The ceramic tiles are much lighter and mainly used for indoors.

Tom

Tom,
    Nice job!

I have an Epson 1400 also, but I haven't been able to get a good consistant B&W out of it. I used to run a C-86 and the driver had a black ink only selection in the driver. The 1400 doesnt have that.

Any tips for a better B&W?

I haven't worked much with tiles, do you use a rubber pad with it? How do you cool the tile down after pressing? With mugs I submerse them in water.

I'm anxious to try some murals as I feel there is a market on base for it.

Thanks,

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Tom

Very nice work. I would have guessed a higher selling price.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

11. Hi Martin,
    I use the file as is, I just open it up in photoshop elements and bump up the contrast a little, size it to fit across my mural and then work in Corel to set the mural params up . I press it with two felt pads under the tile and one felt pad on top with a Teflon sheet covering that. Do a test first to get your pressure and heating time. Once you have that you should be able to knock them out one after the other.

Mike, I agree my pricing is a little low , but right now I'm going for the work quantity by offering a lower price , especially in todays economy.

Tom, thanks for the info.

I'm going to have to give these a shot as I can see it opening some different markets on base.

Thanks,

Marty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

13. Hi Marty ,
    I should also add that I place my transfer face up and put the tile face down onto that. Others may do it the other way around but this way works for me.

Good Luck
    Tom

That's interesting, do you do that wit all substrates or just the tile?

Thanks,

MArty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Are there any copyright issues in useing images in this way? Seems some photographer is going HEY wait a minute.