Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets play Name That Period!!

Lets also not forget -

that styles evolve and don't just suddenly stop and shed all similarities to previous styles. Queen Anne preceded Chippendale, so it's natural to see pieces of furniture exhibiting characteristics of both styles. They didn't just wake up one day and say "I feeleth like a Chippendale" :-) Finally, we're the ones who have attempted to categorize and give name to certain styles, when in fact there's usually a continuum of development from one style (and period) to the next.

I don't know much about furniture history and I'm finding this to be a very interesting discussion.

My guess would have been federal from 1770s or so. The vase shaped backsplat in combination with hefty stretchers was what made me think so. Either way, it's a very handsome chair.

I'd love to participate in more "Name That Period" discussions.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

This looks a lot like it to me.

Late 18th century oak side chair 'urn' shaped splat back in original condition.
    H:36" W:18" D:15"
    Attached Images Attached Images

I took a look at the Israel Sack book "Fine Points of Furniture-early American" circa 1977. It appears to be a pretty clear example of a Chippendale side chair. Certainly not all Chipp chairs had carved feet and very decorative backs (I am assuming the back is the splat?). I am guessing he would have said this was a "good" example with straight legs and stretchers and a little bit on the squat side. There is a very similar chair on page 46 from Philadelphia 1750-80. Attributing it to Virginia or somewhere in the south might account for the more simple splat and and top.

I could find no examples of Queen Anne style chairs with straight legs and stretchers. I did find a section of Chipp's with straight legs. I also could not find any examples of QA chairs with such a simple top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Ok guys from what period would you call this chair? (the one on the far right of the picture) Anyone have any reading on this style?? Id like to give a go at some period chairs and the simple design of this one caught my eye as a possible starting point.
    Jim,

1760 to 1776. IMHO. The front legs, front and side rails are nearly identical to a another chair at Colonial Williamsburg. The back legs are not as ornate and the splat and top rail lack the intricate details that you would find on a chair in the homes of the upper class. However, because of these characteristics, it is my humble opinion that the chair was produced during this time by one of the employees of the Anthony Hay Cabinet Shop of that era. Anthony Hay and Edmund Dickenson are referenced to similar a chair. I have provided the link below.

http://www.history.org/Foundation/jo...1/Portrait.cfm

Scroll down, you will see the chair I am refering to.

Good luck.

After posting this I came across Joe's post with the same link. Sorry for being redundant.
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 06-13-2009 at 3:18 PM.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.