Thread: need light for router table

need light for router table

I'm building a new router table. I want to install a light in the chamber under the table where the router is. I'm seeking suggestions, please.

Someone had suggested a LED light. I don't know much about them. The table is built such that I could install a recessed light one side of the chamber. If I don't use a recessed light, I do want it to be a low profile fixture.

I want this light to be fairly bright but not very hot.

Whatever light I use, it will have a separate switch on the front of the table.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I bought a 18" flourescent light from Walmart for about $10 if I remember right. I lay it on the bottom pointed up and use the power switch mounted on the light. Works great.

Thanks Ray. I'll look at those the next time I go into town.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

try under cabinet lights. you can get them at the borgs pretty cheap

Mike, if you're thinking about the hockey puck lights for under cabinet lighting, those things get red hot...halogen lamp. I've even had one that melted the plastic lense on the fixture. Also burned me pretty good one time. Now if you are thinking about the flourescent under cab lights, those should do a good job, and you can get them short enough they should fit easily.
    A light made for showers might work...don't have any idea of cost. But it would be flush, and would have a lense to seal the water, or in this case dust, out of the light fixture. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

what about the type with LED light?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    what about the type with LED light?
    Mike, an LED would be a good choice, very little heat and extremely vibration resistant.

Regards, Rod.

I've been considering an LED light. Any suggestions for a particular one with a low profile that is bright enough for my purposes? If you know of one in particular that might work for this application please send a link that would show that LED light.

I'm an hour's drive from a Borg and haven't yet been to see what they offer. The local hardware and lumber store doesn't have anything suitable, just night lights with spades that plug into a receptacle and aren't bright enough.

Whatever I get needs to have a cord on it that will pass through a grommet in the router chamber wall into the electrical chase built into the table. The chamber itself doesn't have a receptacle inside it, nor do I want one in the chamber.

Thanks for the input.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

If you have access to a Sams Club, I saw some LED lights in there pretty cheep the other day. They were intended for accent lighting (like in wall sconces), but no reason they wouldn't work well in your application. You could even tear them apart and mount them however you needed...

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Throw a string of all white Christmas tree lights in there .. .. it'll look like Chernobyl .. just not as hot !!

<<<__ Bøb __>>

walmart has led puck under cabinet lights. they even had some that are battery powered

Blog Entries
    I keep a small Maglight in a rack next to my wrenches and height gauge. I rarely need it but its there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler