Thread: What's a good dado set at a good $$?

What's a good dado set at a good $$?

So maybe this has been around the forums a few times, but I'm looking for a "good" stacked dado set. I don't want to spend $300, but I also don't want to get caught with a "get what you pay for" set.
    I'm not Norm Abram by any means, but want a set that will last and give me acceptable results.

Any recommendations from users?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, all the tests show that dado sets really are a "you get what you pay for" thing. I spent the $$$ for the Forrest and was glad that I did.

I seem to remember reading that the 8" Freud did a pretty good job. Perhaps someone here who has one can comment.

The only set I've actually used is the Forrest that I bought.

I have the Freud SD206. You save a little by going with a 6" stack. If you wanna cut a deep dado, you're in deep doodoo, but I haven't had an issue with it yet. It's under $100.

Yeah, it's not as good as the pricier Freuds, but I'd give it a 'very good' rating. As long as you back yr cuts and tape yr cross cuts, it's an excellent weekend warrior stack.

I have a Dimar 8" 24 tooth set which works very well.

If you want one for plywood/melamine I would recommend a set in the 40 tooth range.

Another good supplier is FS Tools, try an internet search for them in your area.

And yes, you do get what you pay for, so buy a good set and keep it for the remainder of your life....Rod.

I have the $100, 8" Freud stack set in the silver chrome finish. I couldn't be happier with the cut quality. The bottom of the groove is perfect. I make my own zero clearance inserts for the TS and have NO tearout or chipping on the cut with the Freud set.

The only other dado set I've used is a 6" stack set by Shopsmith. AWEFUL, to say the least.

IMO, there is NO need to spend more than $100 on the Freud. You can't get a better cut than perfect. A $100 perfect cut with the Freud, or a $300 perfect cut with a Forrest or other top name? I guess it's just preference.

I'm a weekend woodworker, so unbeknown to me, blade life might be an issue for daily/heavy use, using the Freud as opposed to the Forrest.

Blog Entries
    Eric
    I have the Freud SD608. Yea...it's a lot of money ($270) but you'll never have to buy another and the dial-a-width is an awesome feature...no more shims.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Ditto on the SD608, I bought mine at the Woodworkers Show last yr for $200...I can't see even buying anything else now.

I have the Freud 508 that I got at amazon a few years ago, when it was on sale and free shipping. It was around $150 with it being on sale and has worked great, not one issue. Spend the money for a good one you will not regret it.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

I have the Freud SD208 Pro Dado set ($100) and even with a spindle that doesn't hold the blades super tight (before screwing tight) it performs very well. Running it on a well used 1.5 horse PM saw. Handy guide for detmining what blades and shims are needed for differnt width cuts.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going to do some searches and pick up a set. I just built a TV/ bookcase wall unit for our master bedroom and realized that a dado set would have made life easier. I used the router with a guide for the carcass and had to make several passes with a full kerf blade when building the drawers...
    Very time consuming. I'll post a pic when I'm finished.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Eric
    I have the Freud SD608. Yea...it's a lot of money ($270) but you'll never have to buy another and the dial-a-width is an awesome feature...no more shims.
    Another vote here for the SD608 - setup is a breeze and the cuts are clean. Buy once!!

Freud 208 for me too. Does all this hobbyist WWer could want to do. Nice, clean cuts.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    +1 on the SD508. I got it at Rockler's 25% off sale for about $150. I wanted the SD608 but my arbor really restricted the width I could run. I love the SD508 though so all is well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the SD208 and it's all I need - primarily because I use a router to do a lot of the work that might be done with a dado set. If you use will only be occasional, I can recommend the SD208.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The Dewalt set is $90 and cuts very cleanly with smooth bottoms. The Delta is the same blade. If you use it to cut large tenons using multiple passes side by side, there is only a slight scored line at the edge of each cut. Grizzly has included the magnetic shims at that price, though the regular shims it comes with work fine. It comes in a durable case.

It's plenty good enough for me. If you cut dados all day, one of the pricier sets may give you more resharpenings, making the difference significant. But for light use, this or one of the low cost Freud sets is probably a good choice.