Thread: Workshop ceiling

Workshop ceiling

Has anyone used the Zip-Up Ceiling System in their shop? I'm looking for a ceiling system for my basement shop that allows easy removal for access to wiring and plumbing, and also provides for minimal clearance loss. A smooth durable surface that wont collect dust and get marked every time I whack it with a board is preferred. This system seems to meet all those requirements.

Are there any other similar systems besides the traditional drop ceilings and grids? I know there are some grid systems that mount directly to floor joists, and use traditional ceiling tiles. This may be an option if I found a durable smooth faced ceiling tile to work with it.

I don't want sheetrock, OSB, or any other permanent panels that would prevent access to wiring and plumbing.

It looks to be around $3 per square foot. That would be roughly $2100 for my ceiling. I too would like to keep access to my wiring and such, but sheetrock would be about $180. I would have a hard time convincing the LOML this is a good thing.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Cox; 03-10-2009 at 8:06 PM.

That's pretty spendy! Where did you find pricing information? That would be about $1500 for my shop too, which is way to much for my budget!

Here you go. I found it on the Zip Up Ceiling website under Related Links.

http://www.johnslumber.com/Zip-Up-Ce...lay.id.656.htm

Tony

I used 4x8 sheathing panels - they have plastic on one side and foil on the other. I think they were about $7 each at HD. I just screwed them in the joists - any bumps are easily "repaired" by foil tape. You cut around obsticals using a mat knife and tape up all the edges - it's extremely effective and helps with noise to boot. Here's an image:

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

Todd,
    Don't know if you have Menard's in your area, here in Michigan they have a two part grid system that is mounted flush with the ceiling joists. One part of the grid is fastened to the joists, a panel is installed and the part of the grid that holds the panels in is then zipped into the part that is fastened to the joists. When finished it looks just like a suspended ceiling.
    David B

Thanks David,
    I found that Home Depot carries the CeilingMax system which is exactly as you describe. I suspect it's the same thing that Menard's carries. It looks like it may be a good system for a basement workshop. I'll have to stop in and take a look and see how easily the grid track can be popped out when needed.

Has anybody used the CeilingMax system? Any suggestions for a smooth face 2x4 ceiling tile that won't attract sawdust?

Todd

use a t-bar cieling grid

And fill it with drywall cut to size and painted?

Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norman View Post
    ...use a t-bar cieling grid: And fill it with drywall cut to size and painted?

Just a thought....
    I like that......It sounds like a good idea!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Thanks Mike

I plan on doing my shop like that. Modular, cheap and fire resistant too.

That's an interesting idea, certainly cheap enough. My biggest concern would be weight and if the CeilingMax grids could hold it up. A standard steel/aluminum grid may be strong enough with sufficient support. Would you use 1/2' sheetrock? I suspect 3/8" might bend and sag over time.

I know I had an issue in another room with standard steel grids and 2x2 tiles installed per manufacturer specs. One day I noticed that the ceiling was "wavy" with sections of the grid buckled and hanging lower. I discovered that our 10lb cat had found a way to get into the ceiling and was walking around up there making "waves". I had to first block off the cat access, then straighten the grids and add additional support wires.

Todd

If a 2x2 grid system is used the Ceiling-max may be strong enough to support the weight of 1/2 inch panels or 3/8" sheet rock panels with out sagging but I would contact the manufacturer prior to purchasing the system.
    David B