Thread: New Motor Wiring

New Motor Wiring

I need help wiring my new bandsaw motor.
    It's a Dayton, 1.5 hp 110/220
    I'm an electrical idiot, so help is needed.
    Here's what the diagram says ( I want 110)
    Low Voltage (which I'm assuming is 110)

Line 1: Blue, Orange, Green
    Line 2: White, Yellow, Black

What goes where?? Is there no ground??
    HELP!!!

They don't specify ground on the nameplate but you need to connect it to the ground screw which is usually found in the area of the other wires. Somewhere there will be a place to connect the ground.

For 120 volts, the two wires they specify (line1 and line2) are hot and neutral, which is usually black (hot) and white (neutral).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For wiring info, look on the back side of the electrical access cover on the motor. Some older motors may have it on the bottom of the motor nameplate. Ground is any bolt that goes into the metal frame of the motor. There is usually one intended for hooking up the ground wire located under the electrical access cover. Dayton motors are sold by Grainger. If you can't find the info contact Dayton or Grainger for a copy of it.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    Here's what the diagram says ( I want 110)
    Low Voltage (which I'm assuming is 110)
    That is correct
    Line 1: Blue, Orange, Green
    Line 2: White, Yellow, Black

What goes where?? Is there no ground??
    Like Mike said, connect the ground from the power cord/supply wiring to the motor frame. There should be a screw in the motor's junction box for that purpose.

Then, connect one of the power supply leads, either black or white, to the Blue Orange, and Green leads from the motor. A wire nut is commonly used to make the connection. Connect the other power supply lead to the White, Yellow, and Black leads from the motor.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Is there a terminal block inside the motor wiring box? And is there a wiring diagram on the inside of the motor wiring plate? There may be a convenient diagram and a simple way of making these connections inside that box. The last few motors I have wired were quite simple to arrange and required no wire nuts. There may or should also be a ground post, typically a screw often labeled GND with a star lock nut inside the control box. Is there a switch provided, must you also wire that, and do you understand that connection?

Easier than you thought!! Three colored wires and one power lead twisted together with a wire nut. After you twist those together, tape the bundle with electrical tape!. Starting on the wires below the nut, wrap tape Tightly around until the wire nut is almost covered. Electrical tape will prevent anything from vibrating loose--Just In Case! Now all you need is to connect a nice plug for your wall outlet.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

OK. You guys collectively basically answered my question. I guess the biggest question was do I connect all six wires?? Seems the answer is yes.
    I'll give it a shot.