Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside shop DC??

Slightly confused and will probably give quite a few of you a laugh, but oh well, here it goes.

If you have a Cyclone Dust Collector and it collects on the bottom into a drum, then it also has the filter that branches off of the top and comes down off of an elbow to get the minute dust that doesn't drop into the cannister below. Correct?

So are you gentleman talking about having the filter part go outside the wall and keeping the dust collector unit inside? Or are both outside in a closet and there is no cannister that is attached at the bottom, but instead a dust bin box that it falls into or it just goes to the ground and floats around if you don't have neighbors nearby? Correct?

In addition there would be no need for a filter, because the dust is minute and it would just fall down courtesy of Mr. Newton. Seriously, I know that I've read where woodworkers put their cyclones outside, but without anything on the bottom or no filter on the side? I remember a fella named Lou Sansone (sorry if I butchered your name, going by memory) had a picture of his painted maroon or red and he lives in Maine or Vermont area. Not sure if his setup is the same as what's being asked.

A picture of what the original poster is asking for would truly help. Any takers?

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

until my DC broke I had one in a closet in back of my shop. I used the filter but Put the motor and fan on a shelf near the ceiling so I could run my duct up at the ceiling level.

One thing I can recommend is don't bother with Penn state.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin R Thomas View Post
    Keith,
    Any chance you could post a picture of your DC set up? I'm interested in seeing how you built the chip box.
    Justin,

Below is the Harbor Freight DC unit installed at CNU. The outlet pipe coming off the top is about 48" long straight through the back wall and into the chip box outside.

The chip box is the box the ShopBot CNC router was shipped in, I painted it white and installed four speed clips so I could remove the top to empty the box. It is about eight feet long and 3 feet wide. You can see the 6" diameter dryer vent I installed on the side of the box. I have a piece of air conditioning filter material on the inside attached to the end of the dryer vent pipe. Just about 25 feet from the truck bumper is a walking path students use to get from a housing area to the main University, they don't have a clue what the box is or what it is for

This is a very inexpensive dust collection system that works incredibly well. I NEVER have to stop to empty a bag or worry if the system is full. I dump the box in the fall transferring the chips and dust into 30 gallon trash cans with a plastic coal shovel and I pick a nice day. It took me about an hour last fall to dump the box.

I can't take pictures of the chip box in my workshop at home just yet. I am in the process converting the old chip box which is plywood to a 3000 gallon steel tank. I am building a welded frame that will be covered with sheet metal and installed on the end of the new tank that will house my dust collector outside. This will remove the noise from the shop....I'm gonna love the piece and quiet Oh, I expect that it will be five years before I have to empty my new steel chip box
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-11-2009 at 8:18 PM.