Thread: Outdoor Rocker

Outdoor Rocker

Here is my outdoor rocker. QS white oak, hummingbird inlay. Mortise and loose tenon, epoxy glue for rockers, plastic resin glue for back bent lams and Titebond III for joints. Stained in golden oak and waiting to get clear coat of marine varnish. Too nice for outside, so Ill talk my wife into covering it when not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking rocker. Don't think I could put that outside, it would have to go in my living room.

Awesome. A man from my own heart. Can we get a pic of the inlay?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Thats a great looking rocker Jay, I'm going to really need one of em very soon

I agree, that is a great looking. QS White Oak is my favorie wood.

Im starting to like white oak too. Since red oak is predominate here that is what I have used mostly. Red oak suffers from what I call measling where the stain oozes back out of the straw like pores and leaves dot of stain or measles everywhere. Its not a problem if you go back the next day and wipe it down again with a stain damped rag. Not so much a problem with the white oak.

Ive built 7 rockers so far and my favorite is from mahogany. But too expensive to use routinely.

great looking project...something i have been wanting to do for a while. how did you make the rockers? bend or cut?

Outstanding rocker. The QS oak really pops.

it was bent lamination using plastic resin glue clamped over a shape made of MDF.

I experimented early on with steam bending 3/4 oak and not even close. Ive read since, that kiln dried wood does not steam bend.

The bent lam approach only works if you have a drum sander or planer with sharp blades, so it was a nice excuse to get a drum sander. Ive made 7 chairs so far so the drum sander has its earned its keep.

Jay,
    I wasn't kidding...can you please get a close up of the inlay? Did you make it or buy it?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

it was purchased. No big deal there. I just hogged out a space for it.

That rocker rocks! Beautiful. I aspire to this kind of project....
    I agree. It's too nice for outside.

Beautiful piece and I would cover it outside as that is an inside chair. If you do decide to put it inside... I would definitely fore-go the marine spar and go with regular for iniside.

Again... excellent

Sarge..