Thread: Exhausted Dust Collection?

Exhausted Dust Collection?

Hello, folks.

After a recent craigslist tool score, I'm finally *really* assembling my makeshift shop in a detached, unheated/uncooled two-car garage. I've been reading up a ton on 1.5/2hp dust collection units that should be fine for my hobby-level, low-volume woodworking. My question, however: can I simply route my DC ductwork to a trash can separator, then to a wall-mounted exhaust fan and out the back of the garage? I always work with the garage door open anyway, so losing warm ambient air isn't a concern. I'm also considering a Y in the main duct right at the fan. I'd route this second branch to the center of the garage and use it to pull garage air to the outside to promote constant air exchange. This would obviously be accomplished with a couple of blast gates.

The second question would be the type of fan. There are blower fans, whole-house fans, exhaust fans... and I have no clue what would be optimal for this type of setup and what would be quietest. Whatever I choose, I assume it would need to be baffled to prevent rain, birds and whatever else from entering.

Additionally, I don't believe the neighbors would be a concern. The behind-the-garage neighbor is roughly 80 feet away and I don't foresee fine dust being a nuisance, especially as a hobbyist.

Would appreciate help with this. Thanks!

Zayd

Hi Zayd, if you exhaust outside, another consideration would be noise.

As to fan type, if you've purchased a cyclone, they can be vented directly outside without any secondary fan. Simply cut a hole in the outside wall, run duct through it, install a turn down hood with birdscreen and you're done.

If you're using a bag type collector, and it's big enough to operate a seperator, you can duct it outside, as above. Just make sure you measure the motor current, and if required add some restriction to keep the motor current at, or below rated value with all the gates open.

Regards, Rod.

Here's what I came up with for a few hundred bucks. Quiet and works great:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105272

If you are asking if you can use an attic fan for dust collection, the answer is that it won't work very well, if at all. It will however do a fine job of drawing air from outside your shop and clearing the ambient dust.

For dust collection, you need a blower designed for that purpose. Also, venting outside, you need to think about whether the fine dust not captured by the separator will be a problem. In my case its not because there are fields and woods downwind. The closest downwind house is a mile away. Even when the wind is blowing the wrong way, the outlet is nowhere near my house or my neighbors.

You need to get an actual woodworking dust collector, not just a big attic fan with a motor mounted in the middle...

I recommend just venting directly outside. No fan is going to keep up with the violence of the DC's exhaust. You will get dust blown all over the shop if you try that. I have a shutter type fan next to my indoor venting dust collector's pleated filter,just in case any real small dust gets through the filter. They can be bought from Enco. Mine is an 18" 3 speed unit with shutters that close when the fan is off,just from the loss of air pressure. They aren't cheap. Probably in the range of $200.00+,though they are Chinese. They get put on sale sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan
    Hi Zayd, if you exhaust outside, another consideration would be noise.
    That's certainly a concern, Rod. I'm thinking that I'll be operating the DC sparsely enough that it shouldn't be a nuisance. But the best way to find out if it will work may be to simply try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Benton
    You need to get an actual woodworking dust collector, not just a big attic fan with a motor mounted in the middle...
    Matt -- that's my question. Since I won't be using bagged/filtered dust collection, wouldn't the system effectively be ducting to a separator, then to a blower/fan and outside?

Your system is a good example of what I mean. You have your ducting going to the cyclone with the motor mounted on top. Is that a DC-specific fan/blower or are there other types I can use? And is it possible to purchase just the blower for a cyclone?

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the ebay cyclones. I think I'll go that route.

Matt M. -- good point. I was thinking I'd terminate the ducting to the fan and use it as an inline blower. But I just need some guidance on types of fans/blowers that work for this application. But if it's most efficient to mount the blower on top of the cyclone, then that limits the options.

George, thanks for the tip on the fan. I'll check it out.

Zayd

Its the 2hp dust collector that HF sells, actually one of their better products. If you buy it, throw the bag away, it won't do you any good.

I'd definitely recommend a motor/blower designed for dust collection...