Thread: Level ply floor on garage floor

Level ply floor on garage floor

I want to construct panels of 3/4 ply and 2x4 framing to make a level adjustable/removable shop floor over my sloping garage floor. Does anyone know where to find large through-the-top levelers? Something like a big t-nut and a threaded rod with a hexkey slot (or other ideas to level from above). I think I can figger out how to connect the panels together OK.

When I did my garage floor similarly I laid the 2x4's out flat (sleeper) and just used shims to level them out, then put the ply down. Worked great.

If it was a permanent setup, then I could use shims, but I wanna be able to have the panels detachable and movable, maybe in 4' squares. Getting shims underneath and positioned right would be more pain than they're worth, if not downright unworkable. If I do it in sections, then I can add to it or reconfigure when I want.

shop floor

Hi Rick. I would try to determine the slope of the floor and build some of it into the panel sleepers. As long as the holes and counterbores for the tee-nuts are perpendicular to the top (level) side of the panels normal length levelers will take up any remaining irregularities. Basketball floor panels are connected using roto-lock connectors also operated through holes in the top of the floor, but they can add up quick $$. If each panel had no sleeper on one side and an extra sleeper screwed to the other side. Then the plywood of the next panel would screw to the extra sleeper of the panel next to it. Sorry for writing a book. Let me know if I didnt explain it clear.