Thread: Woodmaster 612 Planer

Woodmaster 612 Planer

In 1984 I purchased a new Woodmaster 612 twelve-inch planer for my home hobby shop. This planer is powered with the original Dayton three-horse motor, with power being transfered to the cutterhead by a dual-belt system. After a few years I installed a central dust collection system in my shop, and purchased and installed Woodmaster's dust collection hood with 4" outlet. I also had a local welding shop fabricate a very-heavy-duty mobile base unit, on which I installed Woodcraft's red-wheeled, locking casters for mobility. By any standard this machine has had only light to moderate (occasional) use, with the knives being removed for sharpening only 1 time. The problem is that my shop is about to shrink, and I need to downsize to a portable benchtop planer. I intend to advertise the Woodmaster planer for sale here on the SMC classifieds, but have no idea how much I should ask for it. Any recommendations from present Woodmaster owners (or anybody else) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John Hollaway

Blog Entries
    I also have the 612 from around that time, mine has a Marathon motor though. It belonged to my dad. It would probably be the last thing I would sell. But if I were to sell it, I would go over to ebay or craigslist to see what others were selling for and base my asking price on that. I have the original invoice from where dad bought it new in 1980 or so, I think it was $1600 back then. I don't know how he got that one past mom
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I got mine around 83. Picked it up at the factory for ~$575 with no motor. They replaced the cutterhead with the 3 piece cutterhead after the single piece one threw a blade (scary, due to the gib bolts being grade 5 and the 3 hash marks burrowed in and loosened the blade. I think that planers have improved in this weight planer. I would not expect one to sell for much more than 500 in really good condition.