Thread: Angles/procedure for cutting crown molding

Angles/procedure for cutting crown molding

I need to make some wide crown molding but since I haven't done this before I would like to know how you cut your own. I'm sure I could figure it out through trial and error, which I'm sure will happen anyway, but thought I'd see if I can get some tips first.

I need to cover a wide gap between the top of a cabinet and the ceiling--it's about 4" wide. I'm also considering putting a cove on the molding so I also need help using a trapezoid to figure out the feed angle (or any other suggestions for feeding stock through the table saw blade at an angle).

I've been working wood as a hobbyist for 20 years so I know what I'm doing in most woodworking aspects. I'm getting a little hung up on the geometry though. Thanks for the help and if you have any questions or need more information from me just fire away!

Brian

To cut crown flat on a miter saw set your bevel at 33.85 (34 will be close enough) and set your mitre gauge at 31.62 if you have a dewalt or one of the better saws it will have a stop at the 31.62 position. To cut crown the possibalitys are endless but start at 30 degrees with the blade at 90 this gives a simple crown but to get offset and fancy you can put your blade on 45 and trial and error the angle but these are good starting points. Take small cuts no more than 1/8 or less at a time and keep raising the blade till desired depth is achieved usually 3/8. Hope this helped.

Angles

You can easily cut compound angles for Mouldings on a regular table saw. You build a simple sled that will hold your moulding upside down @ the proper angle (usually NOT 45 degrees) and then send them through your sawblade @ a 45 angle using a miter guage for guide. I was NOT going to buy a Compound mitre saw for that reason till I saw A delta for a good price few years ago. (and it is Convenient!) I still cut upside down at 45 degrees and ignore the complicated flat angles even tho preset in my saw. One man's opinion. If you're interested in this method, EMail me and I'll give more detail. Jerry

I have only made crown moulding once on a table saw. I needed a special size out of mahogany that I could not find anywhere.
    I just clamped a diagonal fence to my table top and start testing. A couple of pieces and I had what I wanted. I marked the table top so I could repeat it again.
    I don't know if there are any formulas for this. I put the fence on the back side of the cut. It seemed easier to slide the work against it and away from me to the left. I first tried it with the fence in front of the blade but found myself pushing the work away from the fence along with pushing it to the left. I used an 80 toothed blade. The heigth adjustment was the easy part. I knew how deep to cut but needed to find the radius. Still had a lot of sanding to do.
    I just used this piece for the large cove in the crown and built up the rest with other moulding I made on the router table. A large bead and a smaller cove. I think it would be way too hard to make it all out of one piece.
    Roger

The WoodCrafter

Hi Brian. Below are a couple web sites that explain how to set up your miter saw to cut crown molding. With some careful reading you should be in business.

Compound Angles

DeWalt guide to cutting crown molding

Good Luck....
    Best Regards, Ken

Been there....

but I have the 12" DeWalt with the crown jig. #$^ on compound miters. Your corners arn't square anyway. Cutting the moulding upside down on your chop saw is the way to go. Running the moulding is tricky. It takes time to do it proper. I don't mind telling you my method, but I haven't the time for it on this post. I'll gladlly walk you through it if you want.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Are you asking how to make crown moulding? Or how to install moulding you bought somewhere? Reading your msg closely I think that you are going to make some.

Bob

Very helpful links. Thanks, Ken.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Hi Brian. Below are a couple web sites that explain how to set up your miter saw to cut crown molding. With some careful reading you should be in business.

Compound Angles

DeWalt guide to cutting crown molding

Good Luck....

Bob,

I'm attempting to make my own crown molding. I'm having the most trouble with the angles on the top and bottom of the molding. I haven't had time to experiment much--just going through the steps in my head for now.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Hammond
    Are you asking how to make crown moulding? Or how to install moulding you bought somewhere? Reading your msg closely I think that you are going to make some.

Bob