Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Planer used as a Jointer

Festool Planer used as a Jointer

http://www.festooljunkie.com/catalog...imped-out.html

Any one have an opinion on this set up or tried it. I don't have room for a table joiner but doing 1" stock is where most of my projects will be done.

Cheesy at best..Why not just put the board in a vise and use the planer as designed? Or better yet, go get a delta 6" benchtop jointer at the borg. Small, lightweight, and they actually work quite well. And $100's less to boot!!!

that is the most overpriced tool I think I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by j milana View Post
    Cheesy at best..Why not just put the board in a vise and use the planer as designed? Or better yet, go get a delta 6" benchtop jointer at the borg. Small, lightweight, and they actually work quite well. And $100's less to boot!!!
    Festool strength is handtools which with help of aids can be used for other things as part of a bigger concept.

So if your route is "I need a very good hand held planer" and "I also need to do this", then you might end up as the owner of at least the Festool planer itself, and when having that, you might find that adding that or that support would make it possible to also do... With that route, starting from the need of the handheld planer, and also seeing that combining it with the extras shown on the page, you might get something that can help you do some jointing, well than you have a jointer which will make it possible to joint some short and narrow wood.

Buying Festool from the other route "I need a fixed station function of..." without the need for the handheld tool included, most often will give you a very costly way of getting an probably undersized, in function limited, although very precise, tool.

I looked at it, and asked people who use the Festool version (all happy with it). But I could not see the need for the handheld planer, and I need the planing function, and I could foresee the Festool planer as a fixed tool becoming to narrow often enough and thus I bought another fixed tool instead.

--- Mats ---

Michael,

i had to read Mats reply a couple of times to really grasp how good it is.

The earlier replies are based pretty much on what it would cost to plane an edge under typical circumstances vs the question you've asked. I totally understand where they are coming from.

i have a delta DJ20 in my shop for most jointing needs. I also stumbled into the exact setup you've asked about via an ad in craigslist. Paid $440 for the whole setup.

i recently did a project that involved tightly fitting oak stair treads. Being able to joint off thousands of an inch, dead straight, with no bevel was a godsend.

if I was only doing work in my own shop, and could walk out to the jointer, there is no way this setup would be of interest to me.

The Festool Planer has to be tried to be believed. If I was making a living trimming expensive doors to fit i wouldn't hesitate for a second. Short of that, i'd buy an inexpensive tabletop jointer as suggested above.

jim

Absolutely ridicolous and ineffective. I'm shocked they would ever put such a product out and charge 700+ for it. I'm all for "the best of the best" but their prices are exorbitant.

ps
    Last edited by Peter Scoma; 03-12-2009 at 1:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parr View Post
    http://www.festooljunkie.com/catalog...imped-out.html

Any one have an opinion on this set up or tried it. I don't have room for a table joiner but doing 1" stock is where most of my projects will be done.
    I own that exact setup and it works very very well, exactly as described. There are also several accessory cutter heads that make it quite versatile for specialty planing jobs.

And, you always have the Festool 30 day money back guarantee should it not work out for your needs.
    Last edited by Joe Hardesty; 03-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.

PM Bill Wyco if he doesn't see this post. He bought this setup because he has so little room in his shop. Everytime we talk about it, he loves it.

I can understand small available space,used to have that same problem. I can't understand that little tool costing more than a nice,accurate 8" jointer. What about one of the 6" short,small jointers sold at the BORGS?

I've got one of the Bosch electric planes. It works great,and does come with a fence. I think it was $157.00. Can't a wooden jig be made to turn the bosch upside down for the same use?
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-12-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

So lets turn this post on its ear. If I wanted to ask the question would you spend the money on a single use item like a cheap small table top joiner with almost no adjustments or shall I spend probably double on the Festool setup but then have the option to do Door or wide flat sections. If there was a singular purpose here I would say go spend the money on the cheap but since I am trying to build a good base of tools to both do woodworking and work in the house could this tool fit. So lets see if a couple more experieced people aswer this question for me:

What else can a hand planer do? The joiner will be a singular task.

Like I said,why not make a cradle to use the Bosch planer on? Or,are you determined to spend $700.00? I have done a lot of household repairs with the Bosch. Replaced all the interior doors. With the Fein vacuum hose stuck into the Bosch's outlet,dust has been pretty much non existent,and it has been a very nice planer to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parr View Post
    What else can a hand planer do? The joiner will be a singular task.
    Rabbets, on-the-fly depth changes, superior dust collection, rustic undulating planing, grooved planing...

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Like I said,why not make a cradle to use the Bosch planer on? Or,are you determined to spend $700.00? I have done a lot of household repairs with the Bosch. Replaced all the interior doors. With the Fein vacuum hose stuck into the Bosch's outlet,dust has been pretty much non existent,and it has been a very nice planer to use.
    Sounds like you have a lot of the examples on what the hand planer can be used for. Would you have any additions above those listed by Joe?

--- Mats ---

Flattening your workbench top,at least taking most of the grunt work out of it for an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Flattening your workbench top,at least taking most of the grunt work out of it for an old man.
    I have used one for flatening the inner roof before putting on plaster roof, but for that I would only want to use a cheap china machine (there will be nails).

-- -Mats ---