Thread: A different basement shop lighting question

A different basement shop lighting question

I have a different question that I don’t believe has been asked here yet. I finished my basement shop 2 years ago. There are no windows so I was worried about lighting and went overboard. I have 18 - T-8 fixtures in a space of approximately 600 sq ft. My issue is I’m worried about leaving the lights on and not knowing it for days. My schedule only allows for woodworking on weekends and even then I’ve been known to miss one or two in a row. In theory I could see the lights getting left on for 4 weeks (24/7). I’ve thought about installing one of the motion sensing switches but I’m scared about having the lights go off in the middle of using a power tool.

Does anyone have suggestions for a system that would tell me the lights were left on? We are in the basement everyday so I’ve thought about wiring a small light on the living side of the shop to tell me the lights are on.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

Wes,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Quick and simple. I plan on doing something very similar to remind me to turn off the power to my air compressor.

Kerry

Hi Wes,

You can put your lights on a timer. You can get timer switchs so you can turn it on for as long as you think you will be in the shop.

Sam

I put a motion sensor on the lights for my workshop. I'm not sure I'd do it again. I think your idea of a light on the living side of the basement is simple and effective. All you have to do is wire it into the switch for the shop lights. Sounds pretty idiot-proof to me.

Rob, thanks for the comment. I have a question regarding the wiring of the indicator light. My shop lights are split between two switches/same circuit. Is it possible to have both switches feed into one indicator light or should I just bite the bullet and use two indicator lights.

Thanks,
    Wes

I plan on using a UPB relay switch for this exact purpose on my shop lights. They communicate over the power line and can be remote controlled and report status and you can "bind" them together so for instance if the shop lights are on you could have a lamp module somewhere else keep a lamp on in the house.

Of course the possibilities are endless, I actually have an HAI Omni security system than can communicate UPB, so when I arm it for night or away I'll add a rule to always turn the shop lights off in case I forget, I do this with ceiling fans in the house now.

You will need a computer and a PIM that lets the computer talk to the powerline to set the switches up initially, but they don't need to computer to operate after setup.

X10 is a less expensive option that is similar, and doesn't require a computer to setup, but I would not recommend as the reliability is low compared to UPB.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php?cat=170 for the HAI switch I like to buy, but they sell other brands and X10 etc.

Wes,

I think the cheapest and easiest way to handle this is to wire up two very small indicator lights. Go find the smallest CFL you can (I have 15 W CFLs in a few sconces in my house) along with a cheap housing. This will be cheap, straight-forward, and low in energy consumption and best of all, it will work.

Check this out--maybe even cheaper: http://www.sherline.com/tip18.htm I think this 120V rated LED would use even less energy than a CFL although it will be smaller, the best part is COLOR. Visit your local Radio Shack and see what they have. I think it would be very simple to mount this in a blank cover plate simply screwed to the wall exactly opposite your switch box on the other side of the door. This may not be "code" but for a simple LED, I would do it.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-13-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Wright View Post
    Wes,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Quick and simple. I plan on doing something very similar to remind me to turn off the power to my air compressor.

Kerry
    I have a 24-hour mechanical timer on my air compressor. I despise it when it kicks on at 2 am...problem solved.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'll offer a totally different "solution" to your problem. Cut an opening in the wall between the shop and the rest of the basement and install a window. If the living end of the basement your family spends time in has a window in it the added shop window would allow some to the daylight into your shop. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don, I'm kicking myself for not doing something similar when I built the shop. I was very concerned with noise intrusion into the living space so I went with spray foam insulation amongst other things. The door I installed was an exterior insulated door. I opted for the one without glass as I thought the glass would transmit more noise. Now the whole light issue has popped up. Replacing the door would probably be easier than cutting a hole in the wall. I may watch craiglist to see if any decent exterior doors with windows come up.

Thanks,
    Wes

Wes,

Radio Shack, 120V Neon lights, 2 pack, Red Amber or Green, $3.49 +tax. One 9/32" drill, drill two holes opposite your switch box, glue the lamps in the holes and wire them up.

Sounds a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the door

Just my .02

Kerry

You can buy a double pane widow and the plastic moldings to install a window in your door I got them from a door store and installed a stained glass window in our steel entry way door several years ago. It took less than a hour. If I remember right it was about 150$ but most of that was the stained glass part. The stained glass was sandwiched in a sealed double pane window.
    Thank You
    Ed

IMO, an LED isn't visible enough.

A regular light on the wall that fits with the decor is sufficient. You will need an "ice cube" relay (cheap - couple of $$$). Turn on either light switch, that energizes the coil on the relay and the light turns on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    Don, I'm kicking myself for not doing something similar when I built the shop. I was very concerned with noise intrusion into the living space so I went with spray foam insulation amongst other things. The door I installed was an exterior insulated door. I opted for the one without glass as I thought the glass would transmit more noise. Now the whole light issue has popped up. Replacing the door would probably be easier than cutting a hole in the wall. I may watch craiglist to see if any decent exterior doors with windows come up.

Thanks,
    Wes
    If you use a door with double pane glass the noise should be reduced quite a bit over one with single pane.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Rob, can you tell me what an ice cube relay is and explain how they work? I like to consider myself proficient in typical house wiring applications but this is getting beyond my level of knowledge.

I'd like to stop at Radio Shack on my way home and pick up the items I need. I think I'm just going to put a can light over the living side of my shop door as this would illuminate the basement enough if I left the lights on in my shop it'll be obvious from the top of the stairs.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups