Thread: Dust collector filter bags.

Dust collector filter bags.

Two questions:

1. Does it make sense to wash them? I never have, didn't think it was a good idea. But my bags, both top and bottom, are starting to let more and more through the material that isn't air. Or they just need to be replaced...

2. Is there anything that could be sprayed on, or that the bags could be soaked in to make less material stick to the inside. I'm thinking more about the top bags than anything. When I do anything that creates alot of fine dust, like the widebelt, the top bag feels "thick" because of all the material stuck on the inside. A couple of shakes and its gone, but that doesn't help while its running.

I've been thinking about building a cyclone which should help, but I'm totally out of space.

depends

If you have the nylon, or whatever regular bags are made of, go ahead and wash them.

If you have the felt bags that are usually 5 micron or less, the instructions mine came with say specifically NOT to wash them. Turn them inside out and brush them off.

Rick Potter

When I bought my AFF bags I learned a few things from them. First, the dust cake that builds up is part of the filtering system...it's needed to help keep the finer particles trapped. Second, a well made Felt bag will have been "singed" on the inside, to make sure oit doent hold excess cake, and that excess cake simply falls to the bottom. So the cake layer remains the correct thickness to filter, yet breahe at the same time. They also said their bags could be washe, but highly receommended you not do that, mostly to protect the bag from damage, but also because there is no need to do so.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

You might do this: at least wash your bags with a good dose of fabric softener. This will fuzz up the fabric a bit,and reduce the amount of stuff that comes through the mesh. Those holes in the mesh are pretty large. The best thing beyond that,is to get a felt bag as has been said. The fabric softener will help till you can get the felt bag.

I did this to my bags years ago. I do not understand why the instructions would tell you not to wash them. Brushing the insides with a soft brass brush,like a suede brush for suits,would probably help if you don't want to wash them. Maybe they are making the bags crappier now,so you can't wash them.I never had trouble washing mine.

Karl,

I am not sure what your DC is, so I am not terribly familiar with the bags, but it sounds like yours has a bag top and bottom that is some kind of filter material. A LOT of newer DCs are coming with a single filter bag, and a clear poly bag on the bottom that allows nothing through.

If your bags are allowing dust through that you can see, chances are good that for a while at least your bags have been allowing the harmful ultrafines through. I would think this is not desireable...

You are right in thinking you would want to add some sort of cyclone to the setup. I have heard from numerous users that installed the separator baffle that Phil Thien Designed into the inlet ring of their DCs and they report excellent results in separation, keeping the chunks, and the overwhelming majority of fines in the lower bag. Now if you combine this with a Wynn, or similar canister filter, and a poly lower bag, you will have taken some great steps toward breathing easier...

Since I am fairly new here at the Creek (but been banging around a few others for quite a while now) I am not sure if you know about Bill Pentz' work in the scinece of dust collection for hobby workshops. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm is the link, and he has done some amazing work in this area. Be warned before starting to read his stuff though, he did not skip on ANY details, and the amount of information he presents can overload your head pretty quick...