Thread: I would like your input...

I would like your input...

The attached picture is the coming together of my new shop. I just included a pic of the drill press and lathe stand area. Basically, the issue that I have is what's in the background. I have a pole building and as you can see, there are large 6 x 6 posts and then 2x4's that span the rest of the way. OSB is attached to the 2x4s from the outside and siding.

I want to be able to add cabinets, shelves and misc. storage. I was thinking about filling the gaps btwn the 2x4's with some of the foam insulation board and then covering it with OSB or drywall. What do you guys think about that? The insulation is most important...Being in Ohio and I want to be able to contain the heat once I start generating some in the winter.

The other option is NOT covering up the insulation(saves big money) and just attach some vertical bracing to help support the add on storage.

I am struggling with this...Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John G
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it were mine, I think I would run my new electrical in the walls with plenty of outlets. Then I would use spray-in-place foam insulation and trim flat. Then I would cover with interior rigid wood panels that could take fasteners and shelves. Offers better flexibility compared to gypsum board.
    Kev

I am definitely going to add the outlets under it...The shop is going to be wired next month when I have more money...I wish I had the money to put into the spray in foam insulation.

Thanks for the input.

JG

I would not just use the foam board. The R factor is not that high with it from what I remember. If it was me, i would build normal 2x4 or 2x6 walls and insulate as normal either with blow-in or fiberglass batts. I know the cost is higher but being up there in cold country you want all the insulation you can get and you will never regret it.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

I agree with Kev's recommendation, if you go with foam board, you will have thermal leaks up the wazoo, and relatively poor R value. Simply fill the cavity with expanding foam once you've got your electrical in, and trim that flush... I think the R value of expanding foam is something like R-7, and if you have 6x6 timbers, I think in that size the nominal is actual size right? So you'd have something like R42 value in those walls. Of course UP is a bigger concern with where the heat is going to go...

At a bare minimum, I would put in fiberglass. If you can afford it, go for the blow in stuff.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

One thing I think that everyone is forgetting is that there is no frost wall under this structure. The only foundation is footings under the 6x6 posts (if that), so that means that this will leak heat like a sieve anyway. Also, since there is no frost protection, the floor slab will be able to heave which means that traditionally framed walls are out.

All that being said, I would use either rigid foam insulation between the 2x4 horizontal purlins, or beef them up with another 2x4 (to get some depth) and add r-13 batts. It looks like your purlins are 24" o.c. and you can get these batts for 24" stud spacing. Then I would just cover it up with drywall or osb, as you want to do.

Also, figure out where you want to add cabinets, and make sure there is support for them in the wall. These 2x4's probably span about 8' and are too small to support fully loaded cabinets. I'd add some double 2x10 or 2x12's between the posts where ever you want to add stuff to the walls. These will act as a beam, and transmit the load to the posts. Glue and nail these 2x's together for the most strength.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Effinger; 03-15-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

speaking as one that does not have an insulated shop ..... SPEND THE MONEY UP FRONT OR YOU WILL REGRET IT AFTER ONE WINTER
    fledgling weekend warrior

Thanks for all the input guys...It is really going to get me moving...I like the idea of beefing up the 2x 4's and sticking insulation in there. It is going to be expensive and time consuming to say the least.

Thanks Again,

JG

Earlier in the winter, 7/16" OSB (Lowes $5.45) was cheaper than dry wall. You can screw outlets right to the surface most anywhere.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.