Thread: air filter for squirrel cage

air filter for squirrel cage

I have a squirrel cage fan with a 9" intake opening. The fan (with motor inside) is 18" long x 17" tall x 13" deep. I plan to make a rolling cabinet which houses the fan and stands about 38" tall, but it seems most air filter systems for shop use are off the floor. Is there an advantage, other than saving floor space, to having the filter hanging from the ceiling? My shop is a two-car garage 20' x 18' x 10'. Any suggestions on the best filter and size of filter for this fan?

Quote Originally Posted by rich murray View Post
    Is there an advantage, other than saving floor space, to having the filter hanging from the ceiling? My shop is a two-car garage 20' x 18' x 10'. Any suggestions on the best filter and size of filter for this fan?
    I think the advantage is having the fan and filter in the are of the most dangerous dust. The airborne dust. The dust that is heavy enough to fall to the floor is less harmful than the dust that stays airborne. This may not be correct but it is what I believe.

If the fan moves the air would the airborn "lite enough to not fall out of the air" dust not go with it?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Coleman View Post
    I think the advantage is having the fan and filter in the are of the most dangerous dust. The airborne dust. The dust that is heavy enough to fall to the floor is less harmful than the dust that stays airborne. This may not be correct but it is what I believe.
    Sounds logical to me.

And if the fan was at floor level it would be prone to blowing up more dust off the floor, thus being counter-productive.

I've got one on wheels that I move around next to where ever it is I'm working. My unit grabs most of the airborne dust before it can get too high. I don't have any scientific evidence, but I think that if the air cleaner is near you then it'll do a better job of grabbing the dust before your lungs do.

Just my 2 cents.

I prefer a fine particulate filter that's mounted on the ceiling, but it will likely work anywhere as long as it's output doesn't stir up dust that has settled to the floor. The fine dust floats everywhere and stays in the air for quite a while, so a low mounted filter should work OK. I just prefer the ceiling mount type as it is out of the way and doesn't interfere with my work.

For the filter media, you should use several layers of filters, each with increasing ability to filter smaller particles. That way the first filter(s) will catch the larger particles and the most expensive high quality filter will last much longer. Furnace filters will work well for this and are easy to find. Their size should be as large as your setup can handle, so they have more filtration surface area and don't plug up too fast. The cheaper filters will work fine as the primary filters, but the final filter needs to be the best that you can find for removing fine particulates and alergens. This one will likely cost $16-20 or possibly more. In nearly all cases, the more it costs, the better it will remove the dangerous fine particles that you want to catch, so don't skimp on this one.

Charley