Thread: What size bag replaces those that came with the Harbor Freight 45378 Dust collector?

What size bag replaces those that came with the Harbor Freight 45378 Dust collector?

Ok ok... So not trying to spark off anything here but... I have a Harbor Freight dust collector #45378. Hey it was what I could afford at the time, like some others I paid about $159 for the unit, and well it is what I own now so... ignoring it's general lack of quality I have a question about replacement bags for it.

After searching on here I found that basically everyone replaces the bags that come with. After reading this I decided to look at them closely and I must agree those that came with it are pretty bad stuff. The gaps in the weave are pretty darn big. So I went looking for the shaker felt replacement bags at Highland as many seemed to like those and then realized I had a problem.

I am left wondering what size bag do you buy to replace them? Does anyone recall?

I measure my unit and doing a rough measurement across the metal center band appears to be about 19.4" across. There are 2 bags that flank that measure an 18" and a 20". I am just wondering which ones fits better?!!? I am not sure if it better to have to stretch it to get it on or if being a little loose is the way to go and then you use the metal strap to cynch it down?

If anyone has done this and you remember what size you bought it could be a really great help to me! Again, just in case it helps I have the 45378 dual bag big DC unit.

Also... I have seen in some photos a plastic bag on the bottom of it. Which seems like a good idea. But I am left wondering if anything needs to be changed to get that to work? Is a larger bag, a smaller bag or a different kind of bag altogether needed in order to make that change? And I suppose a question I should have asked at first. Does it help and make a difference?

Thanks!
    Joshua

Joshua:

I've come across a company called American Filter Fabric Company. They make bags suitable for Woodworking dust collection. Their site has a lot of information on it under the Literature tab. In the Baghouse Bags PDB they show an oversized bag on something that resembles your HF unit.

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/

I've never dealt with them so I don't know if they cater to individuals like Wynn Environmental does. I think Bill Pentz might also link to American Filter, but I'm not sure. Another consideration is to switch to a canister filter. There's been plenty of write ups on that here and elsewhere.

I'm thinking about getting a bag for my SMALL dust collector but I'm wavering. I'd be moving UP in Dust Collection to get to where you are now, so I'm not sure putting money into what I've got makes $$$$ sense.

Cheers

Jim

I have the same dust collector. I bought this kit from Wynn,
    http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
    I plan on making this baffle from Phil Thien.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=816949
    The filter made a huge difference, with the bags that came with it I would have to call it a chip collector/dust pump. With out any separation I notice the filter starting to clog after approximately 1/4 bag of chips, I then beat the sides of the filter to knock the dust down into the bag. I don't have any piping, I roll the collector to the machine and use a quick connector on 4" hose.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Joshua,

I have the newer version of that DC, which has the same inlet ring and all. Mine came with a 5 micron bag. I got it last month on sale with a 20% off coupon, much like you probably got yours...

I ordered the Wynn filter kit like Gary did, and have it installed, and am about halfway through building a Thien Cyclone Separator lid / baffle for it. (Thanks Phil!) and am setting up my plumbing for it...

I have seen another modification to this DC to improve its airflow is to replace the 5" flex hose with 5" stove pipe and adjustable elbows, sealed with duct tape or HVAC tape...

Joshua - try calling Rockler - they used to carry a 20" x 47" felt bag w/ claimed .05 micron filtration that worked fine on mine. If you use that bag you need 2 of them - just using 1 on top and plastic or trash can underneath would fry the motor since it's not enough surface area.
    They no longer have them in the catalog but around here there remain some in the stores. A pair ran me $60

Just a heads up - several folks have bought a single over-sized bag recently for the top from AFF and then use plastic bag to bottom or a trash can. Thing is that AFF muffin bag cost them over $140 - at that price point I'd look hard at the Wynn.