Thread: Router Table DC for Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel

Router Table DC for Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel

Hello Sawmill Creek,

I am finally getting around to building a custom router table cabinet for the Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel router table top that I purchased several months ago. I’ve been reading up on router table dust collection and have only recently come across various online discussions about “make up air”. I gather this has something to do with bringing outside air into the cabinet to replace the air removed by the dust collection system. In designing my custom cabinet, this concept had not occurred to me. Is this necessary to improve the efficiency of the dust collection process or is it mainly to cool the router motor?

Having said that, I’m wondering if anyone reading this, who might also be familiar with Jessem’s router table called the Mast-R-Lift Excel, can clarify whether this is necessary with this table design given the location of the built in dust port right up by the router bit on the underside of the table? I also have their router table fence (Mast-R-Fence) with built in dust collection port and will be making use of that as well.

If make up air is required, can anyone provide guidelines as to how best to provide it within an otherwise fully enclosed cabinet? Can it be accomplished by simply drilling a hole or two approximately the same size as the dust collection port(s) (i.e. 2 ¼ to 2 ½” in diameter) in the back panel of the cabinet? If so, should the holes be near the bottom or near the top of the cabinet enclosure, or does it matter?

I’ve been reading some other router table dust collection threads on this forum but I keep coming away a bit confused. If anyone can help me clarify this issue I’d be most appreciative (and relieved).

Thanks a lot!

Dru Dron
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Hi Dru, welcome to the SMC forum.

There's a thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107168 about the same subject, covers make up air for the router motor.

Routers are pretty inefficient and produce a lot of waste heat. The air in the cabinet has to be removed and replaced to prevent damage to the router motor.

Dust collection will result in the required airflow, if you have an opening to provide make up air.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Looked like spring yesterday, just a bit too early however.