Thread: source for cheap t-track

source for cheap t-track

I want to recess a t-track in one of my table tops for an adjustable stop for my miter saw. I need about 16' of it so I dont really want to pay $4 a foot for the anodized aluminum version made for router tables and such. I just need something I can fashion a hardwood slide for. Ive looked at lowes and HD at the sliding door tracks and I found some 3/4" tracks that would work but theyre not T-tracks. Just wondering if anyone knows of a source for something like this. It doesnt have to be aluminum, just cheap metal will do.

Highland WW is some of the cheapest I have found:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...arch=GO&Page=1
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Peachtree usually has 8' pieces at the Woodworking Shows. You can order from them on the net, but length is limited to about 4' due to shipping restrictions. Check and see what Rockler has, as they are offering free shipping again. I have both brands in my shop, along with the Kregg t track. Rockler has their "universal" t track kit on sale for $19.99 right now. Item # 24603. It's a 17 piece kit which includes knobs, bolts, and a 4' section of t-track. You can buy additional 4'sections of track for $20.99, which don't include knobs etc. Bruce

4. Grizzly has really good prices on t track, but on a small order they really whack you on shipping.

I made my fence and stop system from melamine. Dado'd a slot in it and used a special T slot router bit from Rockler. It fits a 5/16 T slot (toilet) bolt. I have made many jigs and fences with it. None have failed yet.

You do the dado first so the router bit just has to cut out the ears on the T slot.

Rick Potter

HINT: Make up several sections of fence material about 4" high and save them. You will save time next time you need a jig...make a drill press table...a stop system for your RAS, etc.

I agree with Rick on using a t slot router bit. Thats what i was planning to do when I get around to building my miter saw station.

I think if its cut in something like ply wood it would be durable enough. If I end up using mdf I am going to add a few thin coats of poly to the inside of the t track to make it a little harder. To keep it from pooling in one place I would slide a t bolt back and fort every once in a while.

It may be too large but how about checking into "Unistrut" sections. I made a tablesaw fence guide with it and it worked great.

http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_d...?S=S10&P=P7000
    Last edited by John Messinger; 03-16-2009 at 2:02 PM.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

For a really heavy duty T track, you might want to consider 80/20 aluminum extrusions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220328865485

This particular piece is 8' long, but they have shorter lengths as well. This extrusion will make one of the strongest T tracks I've seen.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I made my fence and stop system from melamine. Dado'd a slot in it and used a special T slot router bit from Rockler. It fits a 5/16 T slot (toilet) bolt. I have made many jigs and fences with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I agree with Rick on using a t slot router bit. Thats what i was planning to do when I get around to building my miter saw station.
    I have several t-slots done with a router bit. As others have said, no failures but, it depends what your material is and how the track will be used. In MDF you can use the track for stop blocks but they won't stand any leverage (for hold downs and such I use metal track). The blocks must be designed so as not to crush the slot-narrow in MDF or ply as well.

My blocks have 5/16 tongues that fit into the slots. These prevent turning and also provide a surface to squeeze against that is a fat 1/32" shy of the shoulder. This provides plenty of grip but backs up the t-bolt in case you've had your Wheaties that day. Sort of like this although the scale on this drawing is pretty poor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ah, a cheap woodworker, like me. I prefer frugal or value concious.

I'd try a scrap metal dealer or used building materials.If you live in a big city you can find some cool stuff. My small town scrap dealer thinks his extrusions are all made of gold even if they are silver.

You can make the wood track without the bit if your real cheap. Just cut 2 rabbets and glue up.

For my radial saw stops I just use a clamp and a block of wood,very cheap and solid as a rock.

Don't know if it's on sale right now, but i have seen the T track from Harbor Freight on sale as low as $8.00 for a 4 ft section....

LOML was generous with T track kits from Rockler for my B-day, so I don't have to worry about it... But they seem to be having a perpetual sale on the 48" 17pc universal T track kits with the T bolts, start knobs and all for $19.99. I use the Knobs and T bolts more than the T track honestly... So far the T track has been put into use on my router fence, and one jig... Star knobs pretty much everywhere though!