Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nexus 16' San Juan dory

oh, didn't know about that; mylar is news to me. sounds like part templates... that could save some time I guess but I envision it being 2D so wouldn't help with some of the compound cuts when you want to accommodate the convergence of the topsides in the frames. Sure would help with the gosh-darned stem.

I bought a bunch of sheets of Okoume marine grade from some place out in the midwest... and messed up one of them on a mistake so I need to get another 3/8, sigh. Not cheap but I love working with the stuff.

2. Rob, I have just purchased the nexus marine 16' San Juan Dory plans with mylars. Would love to see your building notes. I haven't started the building phase yet due to some upcoming surgery. However, I do plan to begin after recovery.

I am also new to Sawmill Creek. This is my first post.

Dave,
    Welcome to the forum, I'm the original poster on this thread. It's been sometime since Rob has posted, not sure what happened. What are your feelings on the SJ-16 plans? I got sidetracked onto a few other projects although would really like some feedback on the SJ Dory plans. Are the Mylar templates worth the extra $?

Good luck on the surgery, hope you heal quickly and start making some boatbuilding sawdust soon.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rountree View Post
    Rob, I have just purchased the nexus marine 16' San Juan Dory plans with mylars. Would love to see your building notes. I haven't started the building phase yet due to some upcoming surgery. However, I do plan to begin after recovery.

I am also new to Sawmill Creek. This is my first post.

4. Rob....did you ever finish the dory

5. Mac...This is my first attempt at posting a blog.....is that the right word..I am very interested in building the San Juan dory....seems like the thread for it was going strong ...but then died on the vine. How does one go about rejuvenating it?

Auty

Auty,
    Well this is a start.....Seems like a few SMC newcomers posted on this thread and disappeared, not sure what happened. The SJ Dory is a great design although I'm looking at something a bit smaller now just because of the price of O/B's. Finished a new Boatbuilding bench last night, so I'm at least headed in the right direction.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Auty Morrissey View Post
    Mac...This is my first attempt at posting a blog.....is that the right word..I am very interested in building the San Juan dory....seems like the thread for it was going strong ...but then died on the vine. How does one go about rejuvenating it?

Auty
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 04-20-2012 at 7:28 PM.

7. Hey Mac...thanks for at least letting me know some is out there.........I guess I'll just keep checking back to see if anyone becomes interested

Auty

Quote Originally Posted by Auty Morrissey View Post
    Hey Mac...thanks for at least letting me know some is out there.........I guess I'll just keep checking back to see if anyone becomes interested

Auty
    Auty,

Scroll to the top of this page and click on thread tools, select "subscribe to this thread" then select daily notifications by e-mail, when activity occurs it will show up in your e-mail. Saves on manually checking to see if there has been any activity on something you are interested in.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

9. Heather.....this is all a learning curve for me.....did as you suggested. Thanks for the input. Are yo a member of this group?? If so anything to share about building the San Juan Dory

Auty