Thread: Cherry Lumber GLOAT...and Router Table Progress

Cherry Lumber GLOAT...and Router Table Progress

Maybe I've figured this picture thing out???

Sorry for the length, but this is my first GLOAT! Wish me luck with the pics. Based on the guidance I’ve found, I may have difficulty with file size. I’ll keep trying until I get it.

The first (111 KB) pic I’m attempting to post is primarily for Chris Padilla, as he seemed to be most emphatic about pictures as proof of the cherry tree. THIS PICTURE MAY NOT BE ATTACHED. All was rough sawn at 4/4 thickness. I thought it was cool that the whole process (bandsaw) only generated a little more than three 5-gallon buckets of sawdust. Start to finish was about 3 hours. The stack is approximately 4 feet wide and 8 feet long (some longer, most a little shorter), and is 12 layers tall. I’m guessing about 300 board feet. The concrete slab used to be home to a friend’s hot tub, since removed and decked over. Couldn’t think of a better flat spot that is shaded/protected...further, his wife said it was O.K. !!!

While I was at it I also scanned some progress photos of my version of the “Norm” router table.

The first router table pic (73.9 KB) shows the bottom back corners cut at a slight angle. There are casters under there so the table can be mobile like a wheelbarrow. The hole for the switch is also visible.

The second router table (66.7 KB) pic (front of cabinet) shows where the wheelbarrow “handles” will slide in and out next to the sides. There are slots cut in those inside pieces so a piece of a dowel can act to stop the handle from coming all the way out. The rest of the openings, except the wide, shallow one at the center of the cabinet (explanation below), are for doors and drawers. I devised this wide, shallow opening after reading several postings about the position of holes to be put in doors so enough air will pass through the box.. This 3/4” tall slot will remain open at the bottom so enough air is taken in to keep the router compartment clean. You may be able to see the 6” wide channel that will be at the extreme bottom of the router compartment.

The third router table pic (46.8 KB) through the top shows where dust/chips are intended to drop and exit to the DC, and the tabletop hole that will capture dust from the fence.

Sure hope this DC concept works! The cumulative size of the openings in the cabinet was determined by the capacity of a 4” DC hose, as my system is limited to that. I’ll keep you posted as I’m able to progress with the router table. With other situations, I haven’t had much WW time this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Router table is lookin' great, Andy. But you'll need to make that picture of the cherry a little smaller in file size (compress it more). I also recommend you keep your pictures to 600 pixels wide or less so that folks don't get forced to scroll their browsers to read the posts when they are using an 800x600 sized window or screen setting. Those photo changes can be made in most photo editing capable applications...my favorite being Adobe Photoshop Elements, an inexpensive, but very powerful and easy to use program available for a reasonable price.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the feedback Jim. With some significant help from my administrative assistant, I think I have the lumber photo properly cropped and sized. I'll attempt (again) put it up as a new post. Wish me luck.

Andy