Thread: Shelf material for damp areas.

Shelf material for damp areas.

Hi,
    My loml and I are cleaning up after a recent basement flood - 2 inches of water. While I am happy that my shop is not located down there, I thought one of you folks with a basement shop may be able to make a recommendation.

I have several shelf units with a steel framework and particle board shelves. The bottom shelves on these units have become moldy over the years and I only discovered this when cleaning up the mess after the flood. The mold isn't the result of flooding, just constant dampness near the floor.

I have a dehumidifier, but with all the treasures (junk) on my shelves, the air circulation is minimal around the fine particleboard.

My question is: What material(s) would be recommended for replacing the shelves? Painted MDF, plywood? Marine grade ply dipped in epoxy and sprayed with truck-bed liner? HaHa! I'm leaning toward 1/2" exterior ply with some water resistant finish. I'm interested in what folks have done that has proven to work and hopefully is easy to do.

I guess particleboard is like mold food, so that's out.

Thanks,
    Dave Zeigler

If it were me, I'd shoot the bottom shelves with shellac. It'll make a decent enough vapor barrier.

I'd also raise the first shelf higher off the floor if possible. Even an inch higher will do a great deal to increase airflow and inhibit mold growth.

I suppose it'd be possible to paint the area under the shelves with a vapor barrier paint, but that sounds like overkill.

I had steel shelves with particle board and they molded withing a couple months of moving into my current house (very damp garage). I replaced with OSB and bought a dehumidifier. I keep the humidity at 35% in my garage and I haven't had any mold problems in the past three years.
    Perhaps OSB with a coat of anything to seal it even more would work out well for you??? (plus it is pretty cheap)
    fledgling weekend warrior

I would not store my treasures in an area where the shelves got moldy, I would work on fixing the source of the moisture that caused the mold. I would find some place that moisture and flooding is not a problem. If that is not an option I would put a moisture barrier under my shelves.
    David B

You'er right...MDF is a sponge (sawdust). I'd go with ext. plywood painted with semi gloss latex so cleaning is simple. I would first deal with the moisture by sealing your walls/floor with moisture (dry lok) blocking paint. Humidifer is a good move with the addition of a small fan at the opposite end of the space to move the air and help it get to the humidifer. Good luck.

Plastic decking boards. Will last long time down there. And can be power washed if a flood occurs again.

Good idea Ben.
    David B

Thanks for the input guys.

There are no real "treasures" down there. I used that term with tongue firmly in cheek. We do store canned goods and paper products on the shelves, but those are up a few feet off the floor and higher. The LOML has plastic containers - mostly empty - stored on the bottom. Those items covered the shelf and inhibited airflow on the topside. The bottom side is blocked by the steel frame/skirt that goes around the entire base. I think I'll buy some Pressure treated 2x4 and block the shelves up an inch and a half.

I do have a dehumidifier and box fan on low to circulate the air. The dehumidifier doesn't run much in the winter, but it is cycling on regularly now that the outside temp is warming up.

The floor is mostly tiled with vinyl squares. I've thought about scraping them off but it is a pretty labor intensive job. I'd then seal the floor with a good floor paint. We are currently repainting the walls for cosmetic reasons. UGL on the walls would be overkill since the water perks up between the slab and stem walls. There is a baseboard trough that collects that water and routes it to a sump. The trough plugged with mud and the water overtopped the trough, causing the last flood. The walls stay pretty dry as long as the dehumidifier is running.

I had not considered composite deck material. That sounds like the kind of idea I was looking for. Thanks again!

Dave

"Milk Jug" lumber will work but keep in mind about the spans it will bridge. It is isn't meant to be structural.

I, too, would attempt to find the source of the (excess?) moisture entering your basement. Start outside and look for properly graded landscaping away from your foundation.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zeigler View Post

The floor is mostly tiled with vinyl squares. I've thought about scraping them off but it is a pretty labor intensive job. I'd then seal the floor with a good floor paint. We are currently repainting the walls for cosmetic reasons. UGL on the walls would be overkill since the water perks up between the slab and stem walls. There is a baseboard trough that collects that water and routes it to a sump. The trough plugged with mud and the water overtopped the trough, causing the last flood. The walls stay pretty dry as long as the dehumidifier is running.

Dave
    This is some good reading, thearticle it covers moisture in the basement and how to reduce it

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

I use a lot of pvc sheet stock for damp or wet applications. AZEK is the brand name I get. I usaully get the 4x8 sheets. A 3/4 inch board would work for you but, it may need some support screwed to it for heavy stuff, it will flex a little.
    Robbie