Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet[Performax] 16-32 Plus Drum Sander

Jet[Performax] 16-32 Plus Drum Sander

I'm seriously considering buying the Jet 16-32 Plus Drum Sander. I've read the current Wood Magazine review of drum sanders and they recommend this unit. I've read the Amazon customer reviews and now I would like to know what you guys who use the sander think. Positives and negatives? Alternative units? Suggestions?

Thanks

One of the best additions to my shop, don't know how I survived for years without this sander. It does a really great job. Don't think that you will not have to hand sand, because you will, but it is great for getting panels flat and does an excellent job getting that first sanding out of the way. I love it!

When I was looking I ended up with the 22-44 model, glad I did, I find the extra few inches comes in handy quite a bit, I use mine a lot too.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

4. I have the 22-44 version of this sander. After reading posts in various forums and articles in magazines it seems that there are a few issues that take a little practice to overcome such as the infeed belt tracking to one side or the other. After using the sander this tracking issue seems to get better. The sander does do a great job, however I still have not figured out how to eliminate the snipe on the ends any advice would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Beachum View Post
    I have the 22-44 version of this sander. After reading posts in various forums and articles in magazines it seems that there are a few issues that take a little practice to overcome such as the infeed belt tracking to one side or the other. After using the sander this tracking issue seems to get better. The sander does do a great job, however I still have not figured out how to eliminate the snipe on the ends any advice would be much appreciated.

fwiw I take light cuts and press down on the infeed side of the board next to the drum untill a few inches comes out the outfeed side, the extension tables help some too.

Not sure but it seems that the drive roller on the infeed side causes the snipe (??) as its only pressing on the wood from one side...maybe?

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I use my quite often and it works fine. The only problem I have is in belt changes, I use the special tool but it still is a struggle at times!

+1 for the 16/32 getting the feed belt to track was my only complaint but once it is set it is set!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

22-44 plus here. I'd be tempted by the oscillating version if I were buying today.

I wish I would have bought long before I did, did not have any tracking issues out of the box and once I got the head square I was in business, total setup was just over 2 hours. I've added a set of casters to mine since.

I love my 16-32. I almost opted for the 10-20, but I looked at it this way (and this is the same advice I give often for making the size decision)

How often will you be sanding something:
    1. <10" wide
    2. 10-16" wide
    3. 16-22" wide
    4. >32" wide

Originally I was thinking that most of my work would be <12" but with the 10-20 that meant a lot of double passes on a little machine. I opted for the 16-32 and am very glad to have do so. Only once in the past 2 years have I had to sand something over 16" (and it was 17 1/2") and with the proper adjustments, I had no problems sanding it. Plus the extra width gives the option to run the boards at an angle or multiple boards at once.

The moving head allows for infeed and outfeed tables to be affixed where as the moving table options (Grizzly/Delta) do not (or would be rather difficult). The open stand is kind of cheesy but works and is stable. I've seen a lot of people lately opting to built cabinet for the sander instead and is also on my to do list.

Snipe

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Beachum View Post
    I have the 22-44 version of this sander. After reading posts in various forums and articles in magazines it seems that there are a few issues that take a little practice to overcome such as the infeed belt tracking to one side or the other. After using the sander this tracking issue seems to get better. The sander does do a great job, however I still have not figured out how to eliminate the snipe on the ends any advice would be much appreciated.
    For the snipe, the manual suggests lightening the roller pressures. I found that worked for me.

My 16/32 works fine. Just don't expect a drum sander to do a finish sanding job like a wide belt. Since there's no oscilitation, you can get straight lines that need to be sanded out later. It's great for leveling panels or sanding figured wood to thickness.

I have a 16/32 and lilke it a great deal. Changing belts is not too bad but I wish they had the adjustable clamp on the end of the drum away from the motor as it is hard for my big clumsy hands to get in there easily. Do not think that you will be able to remove a lot of material in one pass. Light passes are necessary or burning or motor kick out will occur. It takes a short time to figure out how much to remove and at one feeder belt speed. It is wonderful for sanding glue ups and for final sanding. I am certainly happy with the machine and wouldn't want to be without it.

I have a 16/32 and when I needed it to sand doors I was so glad to have it. I used it to help re finish doors.

I bought mine used but do wish I would have gotten a 22/44. Having the drum set just right so you can do both sides of a 32 or 44 inch wide piece is a little difficult though. At least it was for me.

Robert,

I have a 16-32 a very nice and handy sander.

Joe

Greetings & Salutations,

I have the 16-32 that I got on eBay and wow am I ever glad that I got it. I make solid wood cedar chests, outdoor porch swings out of cedar and cutting boards and it does a great job for what every I need it to do.

Had some belt tracking issues that with a little time and adjustments got fixed and since have had no problems.

I think you will be glad you got one and just remember it is not a planner but will flatten boards but you have to take small cuts. I usually only turn the handle 1/8 of a turn and find that works great and can keep the feed belt running a little faster that way without any burning.

Gene
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.