Thread: Slanted bookcase plans/ideas?

Slanted bookcase plans/ideas?

I've been asked by a coworker to build a slanted bookcase for him, the type where the books rest on shelves angled up so that titles on the spines are more easily readable. What he has in mind is something like the product shown in this link:
    http://www.efurnitureshowroom.com/an...prod_2632.html

Does anyone know where I could find some plans for something similar? How about construction/joinery suggestions? I'm generally pretty good producing good results from plans, but trying to design something from scratch is a different story all together. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer!

CD or video storage

You might look for CD or Video cassette storage plans. I have seen more CD storage cases with that slanted feature than book cases. Of course, you would have to do the changes to the plans yourself to make the case big enough for books.

Just a thought.
    Ben

fine woodworking has a 'Portable Book Rack'
    that is angled like that

Blog Entries
    M ake your own drawing. Print the image as large as you can. Then using a scale with 1/32 or 1/64 divisions measure the over all height. Since they give you the overall height as 30" you can easily determine any other vertical dimension using ratios. Unknown dimension = measured feature x 30 / measured height. Round off the answer you get to the nearest 1/4" and you will get amazinly accurate dimensions for every feature of the photo. You can make assumptions that the material is all 3/4" thick for example.

Measured feature is the measurement of interest measured with your scale.

Measured height is the measuremaent you get using the scale for the overall height of the book shelf.

Since the photo is taken at an oblique angle you have to use a different ratio for width and depth dimensions.

I do this all the time when designing things for family and friends to create dimensioned drawings.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute