Thread: Impeller size?

Impeller size?

I am thinking about a used DC. It is a 3hp motor and the guy says it delivers about 2500 cfm (don't know where he got the number from) and it has about a 14" impeller.

Does that sound about right?

What kind of DC is it? What vendor/brand name? What size motor on it?

My shop built Bill Pentz cyclone DC has a 14" impeller and is driven with a "5 hp" Leeson motor. It really sucks but I don't have any numbers.

Ignore his CFM comment as this number depends on a great many things.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have a 3 HP jet twin bag DC and it's rated at 1900 cfm. It's probably a little less than in a real world setting. I believe it has a 14" impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    What kind of DC is it? What vendor/brand name? What size motor on it?

My shop built Bill Pentz cyclone DC has a 14" impeller and is driven with a "5 hp" Leeson motor. It really sucks but I don't have any numbers.

Ignore his CFM comment as this number depends on a great many things.
    It is also a Leeson motor model number L5k34fk43 and I did mention it was a 3hp. They did not mention the brand of the DC other than stating the motor type and maker

I does sound like a 14" impeller is right for the motor side.

Ditto the others, Powermatic 3 HP with 14" impeller rated at 1900 CFM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

14" is probably fine, Keith, and sorry that I didn't notice you had stated the motor power.

Is the DC a cyclone? (yes, I double checked your first post to make sure you didn't tell us this already! )

Without getting into the details, however, not all 14" impellers are created the same but I suspect this one is probably ok. I think a lot of the larger cyclones are using 15" and larger impellers.

check out my DC build thread...you can see a pic of the impeller and housing.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-19-2009 at 3:30 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

HI Keith! My trusty ol' Oneida is a 3hp Leeson and 15" impeller, FWIW. While obcessing over whether 14" is big enough, remember that the design of your ductwork for proper flow is paramount to a successful DC system!

While you are designing, check out the latest in Molybdenum interior powder-coated ducting to decrease molecular friction, and a very experimental new DC technology of injecting 8 percent helium into the shop atmosphere so that the DC system pushes *Lighter Air* thus increasing efficiency for any given impeller size.

Geez, your 14" could easily rival my 15", BUT you may talk like a *chipmunk* for some considerable time after departing the shop!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    HI Keith! My trusty ol' Oneida is a 3hp Leeson and 15" impeller, FWIW. While obcessing over whether 14" is big enough, remember that the design of your ductwork for proper flow is paramount to a successful DC system!

While you are designing, check out the latest in Molybdenum interior powder-coated ducting to decrease molecular friction, and a very experimental new DC technology of injecting 8 percent helium into the shop atmosphere so that the DC system pushes *Lighter Air* thus increasing efficiency for any given impeller size.

Geez, your 14" could easily rival my 15", BUT you may talk like a *chipmunk* for some considerable time after departing the shop!
    Molybdenum??????? DOH!!! That's what went wrong, I used a ceramic coating with teflon covering.

Regards, Rod.