View Poll Results: Would you refer to an online wood resource to help select a wood type for a project?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that would be helpful

20 44.44%
  • No.

15 33.33%
  • Don't Know

10 22.22%

Thread: Community Project Proposal- Online Wood Resource

Community Project Proposal- Online Wood Resource

Let me start by saying I build an occasional piece of furniture/cabinetry for folks. I pretty much just build stuff for the enjoyment and the satisfaction of outfitting my shop. When folks come to me seeking something built I work with them to come up with a design that compliments the intended surroundings. Naturally, we discuss what type of wood they'd like. Most people have no idea what types of wood are available.

For example, I have a customer that wants a set of oak cabinets for his home theater. I think he wants oak because he does not know what else is available. I'd like for him to consider Quarter Sawn White Oak (QSWO) to compliment (and add some contrast) existing flooring and built-ins. So, I 'harvested' a few QSWO pixs from the Creek this afternoon to share with this client. That got me to thinking of the following concept/idea. Tell me what you think of this . . .

I'd like to propose that, as a community, we attempt to assemble an on-line resource of the various types of wood that we use. I think most folks would benefit from two pictures of each species – one it's natural state, and one picture of the wood in it's finished state (wouldn't need to be the 'same' piece of wood, just a representative sample). So you take a picture of a piece of scrap and then a relative close-up of the wood on a finished project. Each finished wood can accompany a description of the finishing process used. Yes, we would potentially have multiple listings for each type of wood depending on the finish. Depending on input from the members here, maybe this 'resource' should include a picture of a finished piece (i.e.: furniture, cabinetry, box etc...)

This resource can be used by all of the folks that hangout here on the Creek (or just stopping by for a brief visit) to select what type of wood they might like to use on their next project.

I don't mind pulling the information together and posting to the article forum for the rest of time.

There will be a fair amount of work involved in putting this together, So before we get off to a false start I'd like to be sure there is enough interest. I'd say if we can get commitment to include 20 different wood/finish combinations, we could have a decent 'article' on wood and wood finish. Do you guys feel that something like this could be a useful resource?

I'll commit to 3 - natural cherry, 'red' cherry and natural maple. If we can get commitments for 17 more (post your wood selections here), please begin to post them in this thread. As promised, I'll assemble and send to Keith for posting in the article forum.

If you've read this far, you must have some interest in this subject. Consider committing to a few of your favorite species!! Thanks. Lars

I probably wouldn't look at the reference pics...but I'll be happy to give you some 'before and after' mesquite pics.

KC

I think it would be very helpful, especially if you could put the references side by side to really get the feel of how it would look finished. Also references with different stains & finishes on them would be a great help too.

Good Topic, can't wait to see all the responses.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

When it comes to selecting wood, I think you "just have to be there" to know what is acceptable. Sometimes even the greatest looking piece may not be what you expect after finishing. I think it would be hard to discuss this kind of issue over the NET. My 2 cents.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Andy London has quite a bit of that on his web site already! But given the variety of finishing methods, it may be a better idea to keep actual samples that you have prepared from the species you want to work with...including with finish options. That way, you can illustrate all the traits of a species including texture to a customer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[QUOTE=Lars Thomas]

I'll commit to 3 - natural cherry, 'red' cherry and natural maple.

lars// could you inform a uninformed wwrker- what are you referring to in the (red cherry) is that stained cherry? or another species?
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I found this site not too long ago. They have a nice index of info on different wood species.
    http://www.lumberlady.com/listing___...ical_order.htm
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Larry, I was referring to red stained Cherry - the color most non-woodworkers associate with cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomas
    Larry, I was referring to red stained Cherry - the color most non-woodworkers associate with cherry.
    Much of the time, that's not cherry, but some other species such as soft maple, alder or birch that has been given a multi-step film finish that comes out that deep purplish red color. They just call it "Cherry" or "Pennsylvainia Cherry" or something like that. There are so many variations, that it would be hard to choose which to pick, none of which are really attainable from a simple stain or dye.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

good resource

Not exactly what you are talking about - but here's a pretty good resource of pics of many different woods:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Doesn't really get into the different finishes, which would definately be a nice touch, but might be worth checking out.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomas

thanks lars for the info. and jim as well for the more in depth explanation.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Thread Close Out

Just close out this thread . . . It’s seems there is limited interest in this proposal at this time. Perhaps at some point in the future it may make more sense (or maybe, even less). Thanks for your honest feedback. Lars

Wood usage resorce

I suggested something similar on another forum with the goal being that each wood species would be listed and the uses for each wood, physical properties, finishing protocals, etc. listed in a knowledge base. I used to work as a sawyer in another life, and now take down the occaisional tree for friends and for my own wwing addictions. I think it would be great to have something like this available. For instance, I plan on thinning a few woodlots for friends to improve their forest and some species of trees are on the fringes of common usage. hophornbeam (ironwood) is one such tree. I have since found out that this wood is used for wear rails and also by bowyers. Rather than cut it all up for firewood I may save out the better logs for lumber just to have a few pieces around. It may make great drawer slides?? One guy told me he made his workbench with this wood and claims it is nearly indestructable.