Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments on my shop layout?

Couple of things

- The air compressor is actually in a closet under the stairs. It's hard to tell from the layout but the bottom of the stairs is at the other end and you enter the workshop from the side.

- I like the fist layout; however, I wanted the workbench more in the center and while working at the bench I would like to be facing the finishing room and not looking at a wall. The table saw would also have to be moved to get 4x8 cuts and the 2nd layout supports this better. I plan on having an overhead blade/dust cover so I'd like to keep the table saw in place and not move it around.

- I know it could be an issue with my electronics and the workshop; however, I plan to have very good dust collection and there's not really another option.

- My main delima is the table saw and workbench. I'd like place the saw where I can cut 4x8 without moving it and I would like to work at the bench while facing the finishing room.

- Still trying to find the best plan...

What if you moved the electronics bench to the area marked storage by the doors & finishing room? Make the area where the electronics bench was storage. Then swap positions of the clamp rack with the band saw. I'd swing the work bench around parallel to the long wall and call it done.
    WP

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    - I know it could be an issue with my electronics and the workshop; however, I plan to have very good dust collection and there's not really another option.
    Covered bench in the finishing room?

I'd like place the saw where I can cut 4x8 without moving it and I would like to work at the bench while facing the finishing room.
    Make the bench the outfeed table for the TS ?

(next time you post a drawing, maybe incorporate the wall dimensions, as that would help with visualizing, IMHO)
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 04-10-2009 at 6:39 AM.
    "It's Not About You."

In your second layout, the bench to the side of the TS would drive me nuts. I would prefer to have that open. You are going to spend a lot of time just walking around the TS especially with the jointer and planer right next to it. Do you really want to cut 4x8 sheet stock with the TS? I tried that at first, but found it is much easier on me to cut it down with a circular saw first, and bring the smaller pieces down the stairs to my basement shop. With your space I would put the jointer on one side of the TS and the planer on the other, it would provide for better use of the planer.

Mike