Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/2" ply for shop cabinet carcasses?

Unless I'm missing something the design looks to be a wall cabinet with a face frame which if built in the same manner as commercially built wall cabs, 1/2" would be fine. (IMO) At 12" deep and the way you are going to have the 3 separations, the face frame and the back will stiffen the bottom panel for the length. As was stated earlier, good design will yield the most from your materials.

HTH
    Matt

As a side note almost all of the wall cabinets I've seen in the last few yrs on kitchen remodels have had 1/2" sides, 3/4 face frames, 3/8's shelves and 1/4 or 3/8 backs with backing added to = 1/2 in the mounting areas.

Because I'm building a big cabinet out of 1/2 maple ply right now, I'll toss my $.02 into the mix.

I've used 1/2" to good sucess on three large projects in the last couple years now, and each time I swear it will be the last. 1/2" ply is nice because it is strong enough, but still light, so it's easy to work with, and install. It's not so good from the joinery perspective though. If you are going to use 1/2", and you plan on using dado construction, be ready for a battle. The light weight and thinness cause it to flex and warp goofy at times, where 3/4 would not. It also loses a bunch of strength from a 1/4" dado, where 3/4 would not. I've used a combination of biscuits, Kreg and dados on my 1/2" cabinets, which is certainly NOT the most efficient route. The extra time you spend with 1/2", will cost you more than just buying 3/4". That being said, it is ok in some portions of a cabinet, like backs and tops.

I have also sworn off all MDF and partical board. That stuff is just too fragile, heavy, and won't hold up at all if it gets wet. From now on, baltic birch only! Well, until someone asks for something else....

Don't forget salvage! I put shelving in two different shops using salvaged shelve. Wish I had some NOW.... gotta get in touch with a local installer. Find out where they are tearing out a kitchen or something and pull up to the curb. Of course, a lot of folk now install old shelve in the garage like we want to do, but patience usually pays off.

Good luck!