Thread: To beat the dead horse:HELP! Dust collection...

To beat the dead horse:HELP! Dust collection...

I have been waiting for Amazon to have sale on Delta 50-760 for the past few weeks. I check every day several times a day to make sure I don't miss the sale...no luck so far. Why Delta??? simply because recently it got the best rating in one of the wood working magazine over other 1.5 HP DC.

I'm getting kind of tired of waiting for the sale and have been looking around and see that this Steel City DC(linked below) is still on sale until end of this month. However I don't think SC DC got the rating that Delta did.

So my question is, do I wait for Delta to go on sale? Just buy the Steel city? or just spend the extra $75 and get the Delta?

thanks!

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20305

David

On Amazon the Delta 50-760 is $375.85 with free shipping. The Steel City DC is $299.99 with $55 shipping. The difference is only $20.86. Get the one you really want.

Bob

No matter what you get, it'll be on sale a week later.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I'm watching dust collectors also, waiting for the Woodworking show in the Washington area next week to see more possible candidates. So far, I have also teetered between the Delta 50-760 and the Steel City. After seeing these side by side at a dealer in Baltimore, I like the Delta more for its stiffness while wheeling it about. (Not sure this is a good reason, but it appeals to me.)

Lately I have discovered the Powermatic PM1300 and like it better than either of the other two, but have yet to meet one "in person." The PM's metal chute provides stiffness for rolling about without framework to hold the bags. This design would seem to make it easier to move about through the labyrinth of tools in my small shop. I really do want to lay hands on one of these before deciding.

I know this sounds funny, but my choice was between the Delta 50-760 and the Harbor Freight 2HP DC, the new model not the one reviewed in Wood Magazine. Mostly because in all areas short of filtration, the HF that was reviewed was on par with most of the others (aside from the Delta which was a straight A student...). The Delta didn't go on sale, the HF did, end of story...

FWIW, either way you go, get a cartridge filter for your DC. I added the Wynn and do NOT regret it in the slightest...

I hear (no pun intended) that those HF DC's sound like a jet taking off. whats your experience been so far??

PS

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    I hear (no pun intended) that those HF DC's sound like a jet taking off. whats your experience been so far??

PS
    Having had and played with 7 DC's in different colors and flavors I can say this is >>b....aloney...s<<
    HF tight there in the middle of the pack.
    The only time I've really heard a discernable difference was from the Grizz 1029 to a Jet. The Jet was a lot louder - but also a canister on top so that was part of it.
    PSI 2000B the least noisy by fair amount too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post

PS
    Mine sure isn't that loud. I can talk on the phone with my 2hp running.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night