Thread: VFD for 5 hp??

VFD for 5 hp??

I bought a 5hp 3phase bandsaw but only have single phase power. I've been looking at VFD's as an option to run it and can find cheaper ones up to 3hp (say $300) but have only been able to find really expensive ones rated for 5hp (more than double the price of a 3hp unit). Anybody know where I can find a VFD rated for 5hp at an attractive price???

Otherwise, I may be shopping for a new motor......

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-22-2009 at 6:42 PM.

Upfortunately, 3HP is the largest I found that did single phase conversion at a reasonable price.

Is $430 too much???

Rick,

$430 is about $200 less than I have seen them. Where did you see one at that price?

Thanks

Mike

phase converter?

I just got a new Surplus center catalog in the mail. They have phase converters at a decent price. 3-5 hp for 198.95 item # 11-1878 and 8-12 hp for 319.95 item # 11-1879. Page 135 of catalog #282. they have a website surpluscenter.com
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Are you doing work of a scale that requires 5 HP?

Regards, Rod.

Rod,

5ph is probably more than I need. I could probably be fine with less hp.

M

There is a different approach to making three-phase -- the static converter. It uses a capacitor to generate the third leg. It is less expensive than a full VFD. The knock on this technique is that you can't get the full power from the motor. But you say you don't need 5 hp on your saw anyhow...

For instance http://www.phase-a-matic.com/StaticModels&Prices.htm
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 03-23-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Phase-a-matic prices are better through Enco.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ruggeri View Post
    Rick,

$430 is about $200 less than I have seen them. Where did you see one at that price?

Thanks

Mike
    www.factorymation.com You would have to derate a larger VFD to run the 5 hp. It's a bit confusing as they list some of the VFD's and single phase input. On the larger ones they don't list that. I beleive you would need a 7.5 hp 3 phase input to work in your case. Have bought a number of their VFD's lately and they tech staff is great.